By You (2)

Resting my head on the counter I glanced up to see the ceiling fan spin at its usual, slow speed. Catching dust and providing very little to no air flow throughout the bar. The place was somewhat empty, maybe five people at max. It was completely silent apart from the sporadic coughs and occasional rise of laughter from table three.

I looked at the time and saw it was close to one. Not when I usually close, but the lack of customers made the exception. After all, it was a Sunday. "Alright guys, bars' closing in five!" They all nodded to themselves.

Opening the door to the pub, the cool breeze hit me like a bullet. The nippy air shocking my bare arms and pinching my exposed face. Luckily jeans were a godsend in this situation. I quickly flipped the sign from open to closed and made my way back inside. Just before I shut the door behind me, it was ripped open and I felt a pair of hands on each side of my hips to catch me. I nearly screamed but instead let out a loud gasp, spooked by whoever it was that couldn't clearly read the sign that said closed.

"Alright everybody out! Get lost! Scram!" Connor bust through the door and shouted to everyone sipping the last of their drinks to lengthen their time there. No one listened, instead they turned back to each other and accepted him as just another drunk. "I said get the fuck out!" Connor shouted while pulling out a gun and aiming it at one of the tables of people.

Everyone's eyes grew wide, nearly scrambling to the door they all apologized and sent glares my way as if asking if I needed help. I whispered to each guest that nearly collapsed trying to leave my apologies and that I knew him.

Now that the house was completely empty, Connor put his gun away and looked around the bar in search of a drink.

I heard the locks behind me switch, meaning that the person holding me, who I could only imagine being Connor's brother locked it. His hands were still on my hips, lingering there for some time. Taking my elbow and thrusting it backwards, a small whimper of pain spoke behind me in an Irish accent.

"Lindsay the hell?" Murphy said, holding the spot where I hit him.

"Will one of you tell me what's going on? And why do you have a gun!?"

All of a sudden, loud banging was heard on the opposite side of the wooden door that separated the cold, dark streets to the warm atmosphere that resided in the building. "Hey! Did you guys forget about me that quick?" Someone said, their voice being muffled by the door obstructing the view. Murphy quickly opened the door and revealed a stranger, to me at least. He had his hair slicked back into a tight black ponytail, his wide eyes and facial hair catching me by surprise. Mainly because it's one isn't the morning and I could swear I've been dreaming.

He slowly walked in and looked around before his eyes landed on me. "Hey, the boys've told me lots about you. All good things, 'specially from Murph over here." He said throwing a thumb over his shoulder to Murphy who stood behind him. "Hey! Watch it." He said as Murphy nearly tackled him after that comment. "Anyways, I'm Romeo." He said stretching a hand out to me. I took it hesitantly, shaking it back. "Lindsay, but apparently you knew that."

"We need your help Linds'" Connor spoke from behind the counter, he made eye contact with the floor most of the time but every so often he'd glance up to see my expressions.

"Oh yeah sure, disappear for practically a year, without any idea of where you guys took of to, and then come back expecting me to fall all over you guys. Real classy."

"Lindsay that not what it seems-"

"Did you know I had to find out about Rocco through the papers? And get more detail over bar talk? None of you even picked up the phone to give one lousy phone call to tell me what the fucks' going on!" I shouted, interrupting Murphy. My eyes getting a little watery apart from mentioning Rocco who was a beloved friend. One day they were all here, laughing and drinking. A year or more later and here they are with one lost and another added.