Depend On You (1) (Norman)

- Imagine: Norman, Y/N and Mingus spend the day in NYC. Once they lose Mingus in a toy store everything spirals out of control.

You and Norman had been going out for about two years. Ever since he had broken up with Helena, his son Mingus has been swapped between homes constantly. You've only met him a handful of times, and every time he was either shy, or didn't talk at all.

"It's not like he hates you y/n, he's just not used to you yet." Norman said, trying to relax me.

"I just, feel like he desperately tries to avoid me every chance he gets." I said, letting out a sigh of defeat.

"Babe, he's five." He said. I looked to the ground and bit my lip, as if thinking what he said was all true. "Look, today, I'll take you guys into the city. It'll be fun!" He said while packing up a backpack to carry around New York City.

"And you're sure he'll be okay with me going?"

"Well, it's not like he can avoid it." Norman said stepping behind you and wrapping his arms around your torso. "Besides, he's gotta get used to you eventually." All of a sudden the doorbell rings and Norman looks to me, raising an eyebrow.

"What?" I asked. He motions for me to open the door and does it in a sarcastic manner.

"I can't."

"It's not like he's gonna bite." Norman said in return. I rolled my eyes at him and then moved towards the door. Opening the door, I saw Mingus's little legs dart right towards his father. Norman crouched down and opened his arms, to which Mingus collided into them. I smiled at how Norman could be a romantic in one moment, but then immediately switch to dad mode like the flip of a switch. I looked behind me and saw Helena leaning against the doorway watching the two. We smirked at each other as a greeting and just left it at that. It's not like we were on bad terms, it was just awkward how she was dating Norman and now I am.

"I'll see you on Monday sweetheart!" Helena yelled into the apartment from the doorway. Mingus waved goodbye and followed his father around the apartment. Helena left before I could say goodbye, almost as if she was in a hurry.

"Mingus, you remember y/n right?" Norman said advancing towards me with Mingus huddled closely behind his legs.

"Hi Mingus!" I said opening my arms to him and crouching down like Norman did before. He looked to me and then up to Norman who ushered him to go to me. Instead, Mingus took off down the hallway and ran into the room slamming the door behind him. I saw Norman giving me a look of pity as I stood up to my full height. He wrapped an arm around me and pulled me to him. He planted a kiss on my temple and then on my lips.

"It'll get better." He said in a calming tone. "Just give it some time." I shrugged my shoulders and went along with it. He grabbed the backpack that he put together and slung it over his shoulder.

"Cmon Ming lets go!" He shouted through the apartment. Mingus slowly opened the door and peeked out, seeing if I was still here. Norman whispered something to him and slowly but surely got him to come out of his room. He held his hand as they walked down the hallway and I watched as Mingus did anything and everything possible to avoid eye contact with me.

He was wearing a navy blue hat and a marbled Dark and light blue shirt with dark blue shorts and white sneakers. He was such a cutie it was hard not to love him.

><><><><><><><><><

After finally making our way into the main part of the city, we found FAO Schwartz and spent almost an hour looking around. Norman was just as much of a kid as Mingus, so it was fun to watch the two run around. Mingus sat on the floor and played with an assortment of dinosaur toys, while Norman was God knows where in the store. I kept my distance so he wouldn't run off, but stayed close enough so that I could keep an eye on him.