Sage

"So tell me something that you would change about yourself if you could." I say to Azrael as we walk down a park trail.
"Honestly? Everything. I'd love to have a fresh start in life. Maybe even have a different life. I'd want something more peaceful and calm."
I frown at him. "You're so sad all the time. It makes me sad."
"I'm not sad. I'm learning to deal with my trauma." He replies. He squeezes my hand softly. "Hopefully it's more easier with you around." He smiles at me and I smile back.
"Hopefully. I want to give you the world, Azrael. I want to show you how wonderful it is. There's a lot more to it than what you experienced in it." I stare into this eyes and smile again. "Have you ever seen fireworks?"
"From a distance, why?" He frowns. "The sound is too much for me. I get severely anxious around too many people."
"I'd be with you so you'd be okay. As for the sound it only last so long before you don't even notice anymore. You need to have fun, Azrael. Let me be the one to show you how fun life can actually be."
"Okay." He replies quietly.
"Next Friday is the opening game of the season. After the game they always set off fireworks. I'm picking you up and were going to see the game and the fireworks."
He looks as if he's about to cry. He sure is a little ball of emotions.
"I - I'd have to ask for permission from Meredith. I'm not supposed to go anywhere without her knowing." He looks down at the ground.
"Then let me meet her."
"That's not a good idea."
"Why not? Is it your living situation?"
"That's a big assumption, but no. I don't know. It's just - I don't technically live in a house." He looks at me anxiously.
"What do you mean?"
"I told you before I live with other troubled kids. Meredith takes care of us. So like I don't know how to explain it."
"Azrael, that's not going to make me run and hide. I understand your situation. Just let me meet Meredith so I can take you to the game." I smile at him and squeeze his hand softly.
"Okay." He smiles. "I'll talk to her tonight and let you know tomorrow."
"Thank you." I say. I let go of his hand and reach up to kiss his cheek. "Can I take you home?"
He hesitates before replying. "Actually I'm supposed to wait for Meredith near the park entrance."
"Fair enough. I'll take you there then." I grab his hand and lead him to my car.
As I stop to let him out, I hesitate to say it at first then decide to just try it. It's worth a shot.
"I love you, Azrael."
He just smiles at me. "I'm trying to learn to accept your love. You're so amazing, Sage but I need time. Thank you for loving me."
"You're amazing too. Thank you for giving me a chance."
He smiles again and I pull out of the park. I wait by the edge of the entrance to make sure he gets picked up.