Vicki

The room was dimly lit and a layer of cigarette smoke hovered a few feet below the ceiling that was only visible when the disco light bounced off of it. I was sitting at a table near the door with a few of my buddies talking about a couple of girls up at the bar.

"You should go buy her that drink!" I urged one of them. He had been talking about her for the last hour, how he wanted to "get with" her. He was the shy type so I thought he needed a little push. "Come on man, ya only live one! What's the worst that could happen?"

He finally started to stand up at the same time she was walking away from the bar. I think it was his plan all along. "Damn, ya missed your chance!" I prodded at him as he sat back down in a huff of likely fake defeat.

"I'm empty," another friend said, "this one's on me? Who needs a fresh one?" Of course, everyone at the table shouted and raised their hands as he started for the bar.

He was up making small talk when a group of people entered past security. They were dressed all flashy and were obviously not regulars. The folks that come here wear blue jeans and t-shirts. This group was way overdressed for that establishment.

There was a mix of guys and girls, eight people in all, and a few patrons watched them as they crossed the room to an empty table in the back.

They passed by our table and that's when I noticed her. She was tall, blonde, and had a tight red dress that seemed glued to her tight body. I wasn't able to get a good look at her face, but that body! My jaw dropped and I felt a flash of anxiety run through me.

As the next round was being delivered to the table, the conversation had shifted to the new group of people that just passed by our table. One voice was heard suggesting that they probably came from that gay bar downtown.

"I don't care! I gotta go talk to her!" And I nodded towards the blonde who was a few inches taller than the next tallest one in the group. She must have stood about five foot ten or more. She could have been a model, but tonight she was a goddess.

I stood up and headed to the bar. What woman doesn't like Fireball? I heard the table laughing and joking about how I was going to crash and burn and that she was way out of my league.

I consider myself an attractive guy, I've had good luck with the ladies so far. I've probably had more than my share at the ripe old age of twenty-four. I got two shots of Fireball and I was about my mission. To be successful, I had to get her phone number I convinced myself as I walked over.

"Hey, I'm Nathen" I started while reaching the shot in my hand towards her, "I haven't seen you here before?"

She turned her head to face the stranger talking to her, she was drop-dead gorgeous! "Hi, I'm Vicki," she replied kind of shocked that she was being approached.

"Do you like Fireball? I inquired as she took the little plastic cup from my hand.

"Not usually, but I can make an exception tonight." she joked as her group all laughed. And she raised her cup, tipped her head and it was gone just like that.

They were all, and I mean all seven of her friends, we're all staring at me. I felt this awkward feeling run over me.

"I'm usually a whiskey girl." She told me as I took my shot.

"Oh, we'll can I buy you one of those?" I was nearly begging her. I suddenly felt a mix of small and accomplished when she grabbed my hand and guided me towards the bar.

Now, her table of friends and my table of friends were all watching us head up for another shot. Both groups were in disbelief.

"Whatever the lady wants, bring two!" I told the bartender trying to let my confidence overshadow my insecurities.