My Side Guy

"Ugh" Ronnie growled to himself as the frustration tried to boil over. "I'm so over this cycle!" He wanted to scream, yell, and throw things. Whatever it took to fix his situation.
Becky sat in the back room, her eyes droopy from the massive amount of alcohol she had consumed throughout the day and night.

Her words slurred as she whined, "I don't know how to do this." She paused, Ronnie assumed it was to take another swallow of her eighth or was it a ninth glass of wine. He wasn't sure. "I'm not good at making sure things are to your standards." she finished as he heard her torch light up.

He knew the spoon would be dipping into the wax and she'd soon sound like she was choking up a lung. Ronnie felt disgusted at her, at himself for allowing himself to be trapped in this shitty relationship. In his mind, he was trapped so it didn't matter that he owned the house. It was true in his mind, so it manifested in his daily life as well.

"I'm not good at handling you being drunk so much lately." he blurted out coldly trying to fight the emotions that were welling up in his body. "I'm out! I'll be back later!" Ronnie snapped, he jumped to his feet and stormed out the door.

He could hear her yelling something about 'get back here' and 'you better not leave' as he slammed the heavy wooden door behind him. She was drunk, he knew he could be in the truck and down the road before she could stagger herself to the door.

With the turn of a key, the Ram breathed fire from behind as the Hemi came to life. He could see her shadow through the window as he backed out and twisted the truck into gear. With squalling tires, he left her behind in a cloud of blueish smoke that rolled off of his back wheels.

She was behind him now, for now. He had to get away, get time to himself to think. He needed to figure out how to break those chains that had held him back in his head.

He didn't have any real destination, he was mindlessly driving, and most of the time he was lost in his thoughts. Ronnie didn't know how long he had been driving or how it happened but he caught the glimpse of a familiar house. "Well damn!" he mumbled with a sarcastic chuckle.

He drove past the house at first. It surely wasn't his conscious intention to land there. Turning left out of the neighborhood he continued his escape.

Ronnie drove for several more minutes before the red lights on the back of the truck lit up and he pulled to the side of the dark country road. He went back and forth in his mind about whether he should turn around. After several minutes of self-debate, he made a U-turn.

He didn't immediately turn off the truck after pulling into Jay's driveway. The debate started in his mind again. Jay always made him feel better like he was special. However, Jay was only looking for a friend and a fuck buddy or Ronnie may have never landed himself back into this shitty relationship.

Jay's porch light came on so Ronnie figured he couldn't back out now. He put the truck in park and turned off the engine feeling a little anxiety starting to build. "I probably shouldn't have turned around!" he huffed into the empty cab as he opened the door.

Jay, at thirty six was younger than he was by twelve years. He was an immigrant from Portugal. He had transferred here for an engineering job a few years back. He was a handsome man with short brown hair, and an average frame and stood a few inches taller than Ronnie.

To Ronnie, the man's most endearing features were his olive skin, his accent, and the sincerity with which he spoke. Jay was kind, confident, and smart.

"Hey!" Ronnie called out to him just out of the reach of the porch light.

"Ronnie? Is this you?" Jay questioned the dark figure moving towards him.
Ronnie could hear a little concern in the other man's voice as he spoke.