Chapter 4 - Crimson Clues

Police cars were sitting all around our house; their blue, white and red lights flashing repeatedly. As the policemen walked in and out of my house, I could hear their radio dispatchers going off as they communicated with officers at the station and those out and about. I was leaning up against the hood of one of the police cars, my arms folded over my chest. It was nearing ten o'clock and we still had no sign of Jasper.

There was a sick feeling deep in the pit of my stomach. I'd no idea where he could be, or who he could be with for that matter. My first immediate thought was Nora, until I remembered they had her locked away. Still...it was a possibility. My parents tried to reassure me, but I paid little attention.

A tall, muscular policeman walked up to me. He had a notepad in hand. He tipped his hat as he neared me and stopped short in front of me. He flipped the notepad open and produced a pen from his shirt pocket, positioning it over the paper.

"Charlotte, I'm going to need to ask you a few questions. Is that alright? I have the consent of your parents," he told me in an authoritative voice. My tongue felt heavy. I always got this way around people who held more power over me. I eventually nodded and swallowed hard. My parents stood nearby, holding one another. My father looked deeply upset. I didn't blame him.

"Did anything unusual happen today?" he asked me.

"What do you mean?" My voice trembled and I silently attempted to steady it.

"Given Jasper's history...did anything happen that could have set him off?"

I thought back to lunch, and the scene with Mason. Jasper looked pretty pissed off. I nodded slowly.

"This guy at my school...he was just joking around. Jasper could see that I didn't like it, and he got angry," I said truthfully, seeing his dark gray eyes flash in my mind. I swallowed again and wrung my hands together.

"What is this young man's name?" the officer asked, jotting some things down in the notepad.

"Mason Holloway." My voice trembled again as haunting thoughts began to run through my mind. Jasper could be hurt. Or worse, he could've hurt someone. In that case...he would be sent away to a Juvenile Detention center. Jasper needs to get better and a place like that is not where he belonged.

A look flickered across the officer's face when I spoke Mason's name. He looked me over before speaking again.

"Did Mason hurt you in any way?"

"No, sir." I shook my head.

"Did Mason and Jasper have any physical contact? Did a fight break out?"

"No, sir. Mason walked away." I shook my head again and the officer wrote something down.

"Does Jasper come across as the violent type?" he pressed, looking at me through hard eyes. I felt pressured and nervous. I racked my brain for any sign of anger management within Jasper. Other than the fact he looked like he was about to hit Mason...I didn't think so. I couldn't tell this man that. If they knew Jasper had issues like anger management, they might send him away. Even if my dad decided that would be best for him, I promised him I'd help Jasper.