Chapter 16 - Seeing Him Again

"Mother!" Serena screeched again, her voice reverberating against my eardrums. I clapped my hands against my ears until she closed her mouth. She looked at me apologetically and smiled sheepishly. "Sorry," she mouthed. She stood before her closet, hands on her hips.

"Sere," I said, removing my hands. "You have to wear a dress. It's a wedding." She placed her hands on her hips and peered into her closet, grumbling under her breath.

"Yes, I have, like, five dresses. None of them look good on me!" She groaned in frustration and turned to face me. I looked pointedly at her bridesmaid's dress, which hung on a hanger over her door. It was a pretty, rose-colored dress. Somehow, they were able to find me a last minute dress and get me fitted. She was too busy pouting at me to notice the fact that I was staring at the dress. Sighing, I went over and unhooked it.

"Remember this? The dress you're supposed to wear?" I asked her, holding it up for show. She snatched the dress from my hands and glared down at it. She flipped it over and held it up against her frame.

"Does this coordinate with my skin tone? Didn't think so." She frowned and looked down at the dress again before attempting to fling it to the side. I caught her wrist and leveled my gaze with hers, giving her a stern look.

"It's just one night. We'll be matching!" I said in a sing-song voice, hoping to convince her before she could drag her mom into this. She looked at the dress for a long moment, running her fingers over it. The dress itself was rose-colored, made of a silky satin, and tied halter-style around the neck. I personally thought it was pretty. Even if Serena wasn't a very tan person, she could still rock the dress. That was just my personal opinion.

"Okay, fine. I'll wear it. When are we going to get ready?" she asked, draping the dress over her arm. She took a sip of her latte from the Starbucks cup sitting on her dresser, and then went back over to her closet. She began looking for her white heels, and put some necessities in a bag. Straightening up, she tapped a finger against her lip as she fell into a deep thought.

"I'm not sure," I said, checking my phone. "It's only eight. I think your mom said we're heading over around ten. I think we're stopping to eat first."

"Eat!" she gasped, her eyes widening. "Do you know how bloated I'll be?" Her voice pitched upwards, causing me to wince. I rolled my eyes at her and stuck my tongue out for a moment.

"Don't be such a drama queen and get a salad," I told her, smirking. She glared at me for a few seconds before smiling back. Shrugging, she sighed a little and gazed down at the dress again.

"I guess it is sort of pretty," she admitted. When she turned her back, I made a face at her. As helpful and rational as she could be at times, she was definitely the blond of the family. I caught a lock of my wavy, dark brown hair between my fingers and stared down at it. What were they going to do with it? Curl it, possibly. I had sent Nathan a text this morning after we exchanged numbers while leaving Tyler's. I had told him where to go to meet up with the guys, the ones who would be picking out last-minute tuxes. Surely they would get him situated.

"Shall we go?" I asked, holding my arm out. Serena nodded and looped her arm through mine. Grinning, she yanked open her door and we descended the steps together.