Chapter 28 - This Is A Battle (Part 2 of Trial)

Nora looked at me, hate clouding her ice blue irises. She sat high in her seat next to the judge, looking as though she was going to win. The judge looked at the deputy, and lifted a brow.

    “The witness is excused. Do the defense rest?”

    “Yes, Your Honor.”

    The judge then addressed the jury, “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am now going to read to you the law that you must follow in deciding this case.To prove the crime charged against the defendant, the prosecution must prove three things to you: First, that the defendant did not abduct the prosecutor; Second, that the defendant did not murder her husband; and Third, that the defendant intended to physically abuse the prosecutor, either permanently or temporarily. If each of you believes that the prosecution proved all three of these things beyond a reasonable doubt, then you should find the defendant guilty. But if you believe the prosecution did not prove any one of these things beyond a reasonable doubt, then you must find the

defendant not guilty.”

    Both Melanie and John stood before his stand.

    “Does the defendant have any further argument to place before the jury?”

    “No, Your Honor.” Melanie shook her her.

    “Does the prosecutor have any further argument to place before the jury?”

    John shook his head as well.

    “This now calls for a fifteen minute recess.” Judge Matthew firmly knocked his gavel on the stand and the jurors proceeded into their room as people filed out of the courtroom.

    Jack opened the door for us and we went across the large hall and back into the conference room. Charlie's mother hurried over to us, and looked at her daughter questioningly. Charlie leaned in to hug her mother, who then hugged me sympathetically and placed her hand on my cheek for a moment before walking over to her husband's side. Whatever Jack was saying, couldn't be heard. He was talking with his hands, and had a determined look on his face. The other men nodded in agreement, as they listened to him.

"That went wonderful, wouldn't you agree?" Charlie said, sounding less upset than she did before the first half of the trial. It did go good, yes, but I was still jittery and shaky inside. Right now, the jury was probably thinking about what I had said, and were going to match it up with whatever Nora and her lawyer came up with. I had to remind myself again and again that there was a chance they would win.

If they did, what would happen?

Charlie was looking at me, and her arched brows pushed together as she frowned a little, reaching out for my hand.

"It went fine," I told her, hoping to keep her worries away. During the second half, she would give her evidence from the witness’ stand while Nora’s lawyer hounded the judge about how they were right and we were wrong.

Maybe Charlie had said that only to reassure me, while I was trying to reassure her. It was all very confusing, really. I reached up and rubbed at my head, closing my eyes briefly. Charlie’s gentle touched lingered on the lower part of my back and I opened my eyes, looking down into her dark, mocha colored eyes.