Chapter 26 - They Request Your Presence

I don't usually make author's notes, but I felt compelled to thank you all for reading! The feedback is incredible, and I wouldn't keep posting if it weren't for you! So thank you, and remember to leave a comment or a vote if you like! This is far from over, as I still have a lot of unanswered questions, so expect more updates. :-)

I hope you enjoy chapter twenty-six. <3

~ ~ ~

I sat up so fast that I grew light-headed, and pushed the covers off my legs. They fell to the floor in a fluffy heap, and I grabbed my pillow. I curled my fingers around its edges, squeezing it to my stomach. I was wanted at Nora's sentencing in court, which meant I would have to face her myself, instead of hearing about it later over a cup of coffee. Dad looked at me, almost sympathetically.

"Why do they want me there? Do I really have to be in the middle?" I ask carefully, hoping I could find a way out of this. Dad paced back and forth in front of my bed, his hand hovering over his mouth, deep in thought.

"Technically you already are in the middle, Charlie," he said apologetically, with a frown. "You've been with Jasper since he left the cellar, therefore you understand him the best apart from Nora. I'm sure they'll want your intake on him," he stated, meaning the judges. I sat up a little straighter and placed my feet on the floor.

"Can't Jasper speak for himself? Dad, we out to eat last night and he had no troubles talking about her," I informed him and he turned to look at me, a surprised look painted on his face. He stopped pacing and peered down at me, folding his long arms over his chest. He looked at me as though I was keeping some dirty little secret. Which, I wasn't. Jasper had never openly talked about her until last night...even then, he hadn't said much.

And what he did say, only made me hate Nora more.

"Is that so," Dad drawled, still looking thoughtful. "Either way, they'll still want you there."

"When is it?" I asked, silently praying he would say a week after my birthday. That way, I would be eighteen and they couldn't legally force me to go.

"One week from today," he clarified, pulling his sleeve back. He looked down at his watch, tapped its face and lowered his sleeve. I groaned internally and flopped backwards, my head hitting the wall. Pain sparked my lower neck and my eyes watered for a moment. Dad leaned over me, peering into my face. At my expression, his eyes softened. "Char, if you don't want to go that bad, you don't have to. I figured you would want to support Jasper."

I groaned again, "Yeah, yeah. I just...I've never been to court before, not even as a witness, you know? It'll be strange, that's for sure." I sat up and rubbed the side of my head and winced again. "I'll do it." Dad's eyes lit up a little and a smile stretched across his face.

"Really? You will? Great, I'll go phone John." He spun on his heel and quickly left my room, clunking the door shut behind him. I laid there lazily and stared up at the ceiling. I wondered if Jasper knew about this upcoming trial. Dad could have told him first, and then came to tell me. Turning my head, I eyed my alarm clock which told me it was still early yet.

Stretching my hands above my head, I arched my back as I stood up and yawned hugely. I decided against changing, and decided to play it lazy for now. Wandering across the hall, I went into the bathroom to get a drink and brush my teeth. I straightened up when I was finished and looked at myself in the mirror. My dark hair was wild and frazzled from having slept on it, and my eyes were bright with alertness. I imagined myself in a two-piece, formal suit, standing before a judge in a court.