Chapter 25 - A Date With Him

Right as I set the paper down, a pair of hands lightly placed themselves on my shoulders. I would have said something, but I was overwhelmed with emotion at the time. What he had done was super sweet, unlike anything anyone's ever done. Not that I was in a bunch of relationships in the past, but even so, they don't compare to my feelings for Jasper. I couldn't deny that I had feelings for him. I knew I did, because I knew that I had to find a way to stop them. If I didn't...there would be nothing to stop.

My breathing shortened a little as he gave my shoulders a squeeze. When he let go, I turned slightly and looked up. In the candle light, his eyes seemed to burn with an indescribable look. He searched my face for a moment before smiling at me. He looked down at my worn jean shorts, T-Shirt and shoeless feet.

"Charlie?" he asked and I snapped to attention. I smiled wider and nodded my head, agreeing. I took the rose and lifted it to my face. I inhaled gently and smiled softly. I had no idea where he had gotten the rose from, but it was beautiful. Its dark, blood-red petals were silken on one side, and soft on the other. The long, waxy green stem grew warm in my hand as I lowered it from my face.

"I'll go change," I told him, taking note of his outfit. "Oh, and thank you. This is beautiful." I indicated the rose and smiled once more as I left his room, carrying the rose with me. I fetched a vase from the hall closet on my trip to my room, and closed the door with my foot. I plunked the vase down on my nightstand and snatched a half-empty water bottle from my backpack. The water was months old, but it would do until I found the time to put fresh water in the vase.

I carefully placed the rose in the vase and unscrewed the cap, tilting the bottle over the vase's opening. The water splashed downwards, plunging into the vase and swirling around the bottom of the stem. Little bubbles raced towards the water's surface when it settled, and the rose petals shifted a bit as the stem sucked the water up. Smiling, I chucked the bottle aside and padded over to my closet. As I faced my options, a wave of nervousness nearly knocked me over. Where was he taking me? What should I wear?

I tapped my finger against my lip as I thought. I snaked my hand into my closet and pulled it back out, my fingers closed around a random hanger. I eyed its occupant with speculating eyes, pleased with my random pick. It was a short, tight-fitting black night dress that ended just above my knees. The straps fit nicely over my shoulders and held the dress in place. Reaching around, I felt for the zipper and pulled it upwards swiftly, when I found it.

Smoothing my hands over the wrinkles, I looked up into the mirror. I frowned a little at my mess of a hair. It looked like a bunch of birds had been living in it for the past few days, and threw a party while they were at it. I reached up and slowly unwound my hair tie, letting my hair tumble down in wild strands. I bent at the waist and tipped my head down, feeling the blood rush to my face as I ran my fingers through my hair quick. Straightening up, I met my reflection's gaze once more, and nodded, half-satisfied. It would do for now.

I reached in the closet once more to grab my shoes and exited my room. Jasper met me at the top of the steps, smiling. He put his hand lightly on my back as we went down the stairs. I paused at the bottom, looking up at him. I placed the bug's key in his hand and smiled.

"I'll be out in a minute. Start the car, will you?" Nodding, he stepped around me and disappeared through the front door. Heart beating slightly faster, I ran into the kitchen, clutching my shoes in one hand. My mom was sitting at the table, smiling smugly. I glared at her and skidded to a stop, dropping the shoes. I slipped my feet into the five-inch heels, feeling myself rise upwards as I did the straps. I straightened up and placed my hands firmly on my hips.