Chapter 15 - Angel Has A Date

"Could you hand me that cup?" Aunt Sophie asked me. I looked up from the pile of forks on my lap and snatched the blue solo cup off the table in front of me. For the last hour, we had been getting ready for a party. It was the Fourth of July, and she was having a bunch of people over.

"Did you get red and white ones?" I asked. She thought for a moment and frowned, shaking her head.

"Blue will have to suffice. I did get American flag-styled plates." She smiled at her handiwork and finished icing the last cupcake. She licked the vanilla icing off the knife and tossed it into the sink. I eyed the growing pile of dishes and looked back at her.

"Do we have everything?" I asked, wrapping my hands around the forks. I carefully set them on the table, next to the knives.

"I think so," she answered slowly, nodding her head. A quick glance around the table showed food, drinks, and anything else a guest could need. I had no idea who was coming to the party, but I assumed Tyler and his family would be. It was Tuesday night, and the weather was pretty decent outside. Serena and Uncle Dylan left to grab some last-minute items, and I had hung back with Aunt Sophie to help her finish setting up.

A car horn honked outside and we both jumped, dissolving into a fit of giggles. Aunt Sophie jumped up and ran to the front door. As it opened, I heard little footsteps behind me. I turned, and saw Carter half-holding, half-dragging Layla. Her face was pinched up as she clung onto his arm for dear life. Jumping up, I took her from him and sat her on my hip.

"What's up, you two?" I asked, looking down at Carter. He had his eyes locked on the cupcakes and I laughed quietly.

"Mommy said we had to stay upstairs until the people got here. Are they here yet?" he whined, sticking his lower lip out. Grinning, I ruffled his hair with my free hand and nodded. He ducked away from me and scampered outside. I slowly went into the foyer, and watched through the open doorway. Serena and Uncle Dylan came in behind a family of four, who had caused Aunt Sophie and I to jump, moments ago. She was greeting the mother, who had the hands of two little twins. This was certainly going to be an interesting evening.

"Could you take Annie and Emmie out back? They're a little older than Layla, but younger than Carter so they should be able to keep one another company," Aunt Sophie told me. I nodded, and waited as Annie and Emmie, with matching blond pig-tails, ran up to me. Carter followed them and I took all four children out back.

There were canopies, tables, chairs, paper party lights strung up in the trees, and a small space for a band to set up. I wondered if Aunt Sophie knew someone who sang, or if she had hired someone. I wasn't expecting anyone famous, but it would be interesting to see who showed up. Eventually, the adults and Serena made their way out back as well. Layla and the other kids took off, and I found myself sitting alone in a chair. People slowly began to trickle in, some carrying food, others carrying drinks.

Serena waltzed around, making sure everyone was fed, happy, and taken care of. She made her way over to me and sat down.

"Don't look so glum," she teased, poking my knee with her finger. I managed a smile for her and watched as people mingled and moved about.

"I didn't get much sleep," I said. It was partially true. I fell asleep for several hours, then laid awake for several hours. I had a nightmare of some sort, but I couldn't recall what it was. A small part in my brain told me it was about the boating accident.