Chapter 27 - The Guilty Go To Court (Part 1 of Trial)

Jasper's POV:

The courthouse looked exactly as I had expected it to. Jack's silver Sedan slowly came to a stop in the center of a large, black parking lot. The white building was sitting on spacious land, slightly secluded from the shops and stores down the street. Behind the courthouse, rows of trees stood tall in the air like motionless soldiers. To the left of the courthouse, the ocean shimmered under the late morning sunlight. I saw Charlie shift in her seat, peering out the window to get a better view of the building.

I sought her hand, seeking comfort in the only person I trusted. I trusted her parents as well, but she knew more about me than they did, even if it was her father who rescued me from that...room. Charlie looked at me and smiled faintly when I pulled her hand into mine, and gave it a gentle squeeze. She seemed to sense my distress--as she always did. She slid across the seat and pressed her small body up against mine momentarily, wrapping her arms around me.

"Jasper," she said quietly. "It will be okay. If they allow me, I'll be right there beside you." Her voice sounded small, as if she was scared as well. I didn't blame her, because she didn't belong in a court. Other than coming along with me, she had no reason to be here. I, on the other hand, had many things to sort out. All of which revolved around...her.

Though it was easier to talk about Nora, I found it hard to think about her. I had grown up knowing only her, but now all I felt was hate, anger...tortured. To grow up with someone, and rely on them, only to realize they're not who you originally thought they were. It takes a lot to get back on your feet. Then again, had I ever lead a steady life?

Not really.

The car turned off and Jack turned in his seat as Charlie slid back over and looked down at her hands. Her support was the only thing holding me upright at the moment. If only she knew what she did for me, how much she had helped me. Aside from her parents, it dawned on me that I would never fully trust someone as much as I trusted her. Jack looked at me sympathetically, as if he could somehow read my thoughts.

"You two ready? We won't be facing the judge right away. I need to speak with Jasper's lawyer, and the two lawyers will meet together, with the judge alone," he spoke, looking between me and Charlie. Charlie sat up a bit, looking right at her father.

"Nora has a lawyer?" she snapped, seething. Charlie housed a lot of hate for Nora, probably even more than I did. I covered her hand with mine and squeezed it gently, but she failed to notice. Any moment now and she'd be frothing from the mouth...

Jack nodded solemnly, "Indeed she does. I had no idea she knew someone of the sort. All I know is, the court didn't appoint her one...which means, this will be a tough fight. But we'll fight together." Jack reached out and placed his hand on his daughter's shoulder, looking straight into her eyes for a moment. Charlie nodded slowly, dropping her eyes downwards. As Jack and Sarah climbed out of the car, Charlie turned to me and looked at me desperately. Her eyes shimmered slightly, and I could tell she was afraid for me.

"Jasper," she started and I quickly put my hand on her cheek, shaking my head. If she started speaking negatively now, then I would have bad thoughts. We both needed to remain calm, and Charlie was nearly shaking like a leaf. She calmed down a bit and looked away, biting her lip. I noticed it was something she often did when she was thinking, or upset.