Chapter 9 - Long Days, Summer Nights

"Mom, Jasper and I are going to the beach, okay?" I told my mom. It was earliest hour of the morning I had ever actually been excited to be awake at this time. Jasper and I had planned this the night before. We decided that the last beach trip was really fun--despite getting in trouble--and we wanted to go again. This time we would get permission, so we could spend the day amongst ourselves and not worry. Also, I told Jasper to remind me to bring my cellphone.

"How long?" Mom asked. She was sat at the kitchen table, reading the newspaper. In one hand, she held a steaming mug of coffee. It was safe to say that everyone in this household enjoyed coffee. I drummed my fingers against the table, thinking. It would be another day-trip.

"Just for the day," I said, hoping she wouldn't mind. She looked up and smiled at me.

"Have fun," she said. I beamed down at her and ran upstairs.

"Jasper," I said, quickly knocking on his door. "Get yourself ready. We'll leave in twenty minutes." I hurried back into my room and got myself dressed for the day. I put on my favorite navy blue and white striped bikini underneath shorts and a white camisole. I threw my hair up into a ponytail and turned sideways, admiring its length. It nearly touched my lower back. Satisfied, I tossed my phone, car keys and wallet into my bag and went out into the hallway.

Jasper stood at the top of the steps, a towel slung over his shoulder. It was out blue and white striped one, and he must have found it in the bathroom. I got one for myself and nodded at him.

"Are you ready?" I asked. He nodded in return and we went down the steps.

"We'll be back in a little while!" I called out to my mom as I opened the front door. "I'll call you later," I added when she said nothing.

"Okay," she said back with a chuckle. Grinning, I stepped outside and Jasper followed. We got into my little bug, after heaving everything into the trunk. This time, we packed accordingly.

"Ouch!" I yelped when the backs of my bare legs landed on my black, leather seat. The seat had retained sunlight, thus scorching my legs. Jasper looked at me quickly, a worried expression painted on his face.

"Are you okay?" he asked me. I hissed and sat up, grinning.

"Fine, the seat's hot," I explained. I leaned back and snatched my towel. I slapped it on my seat and lowered myself again. "Much better." I exhaled and smiled. He visibly relaxed and nodded slowly. My gaze flickered to his shorts. We would have to take a trip to the mall soon. Black cargo shorts would suffice for now. Besides, a little salt water every once in a while was good, right?

We left immediately and arrived at the beach's parking lot before it was even half full.

"Perfect," I purred, parking the bug beneath a large patch of shade. We tumbled out and stood back for a moment, looking at the large dunes. I breathed in the salty air, a smile curving its way onto my lips. I grabbed my bag and towel and Jasper asked me to pop the trunk so he could grab the cooler. I did and we made our way onto the beach. I stopped at what I thought was a good place and set the towels down, spreading them out.