【1】

We are the blood of the witches you thought were dead.

We carry witchcraft in our bones whilst the magic still sings inside our heads.

When the witch hunters murdered our ancestors,

when they tried to burn the magic away,

someone should have warned them that magic cannot be tamed.

Because you cannot burn away what has always been aflame.

In the summer of 1985, Lily Blackwood barely left her house. She stayed inside with her nose diving deep into books. Everything she could possibly get her hands on. She read both of her mother's grimoires cover to cover. She read every single book in the house.

Everything.

From simple books on herbalism.

To more complex books that deal with life beyond death.

What happens to our spirits once they leave our body.

The forbidden art of necromancy.

Even as a novice, Lily Blackwood knows more about necromancy than most.

Up until that summer, she had a relatively normal life.

Summer before her senior year.

She had just turned 18.

She had saved up enough money from babysitting to buy a car.

Everything was fine.

Until one day.

That one fateful day.

That one day where the flame inside her would no longer be tamed.

Up until that point, she thought her mother's stories were simply fairytales, and not the truth.

Up until that point, she was in denial about what she truly is.

For her entire life, Lily Blackwood thought she was just a girl in Indiana.

A girl with two mothers who follow an uncommon, and nearly unheard of religion in rural Indiana.

Paganism.

They follow the Wheel of the Year and have a wooden broomstick above their front door.

But Lily thought it was just like most religions-- fake.

She thought her mother's believed in magic the same way people believe in the Christian God.

Only to find out that it's been real all along.

All those times Steven Harrington would complain about a headache and Lily gave him a pouch with herbs, it was magic.

All those times Dustin Henderson and his friends would fall off their bikes, scrap their knees and Lily cleaned their wounds with moon water, it was magic.

She just had no idea.

She learned it from her mother's, but never really questioned it.

It was just one of their quirks.

Even when the boys on the basketball team would tease her, both for her parent's sexual orientation and their religion and she would go home and light a black candle with their name carved into it, it was magic.

A tame, docile magic.

Premature, if you will.

The flame inside her would only stay hidden for 18 years.

And once the clock ran out... all hell came lose.

A witch reaches their maturity with their 18th birthday, and with it they reach the full potential of their powers.

As if Hawkins, Indiana needs more trouble.

A town plagued, cursed by an alternate dimension where death and chaos run rampant doesn't need a witch.

Especially not one with an untamed flame.

Which is why she decided to isolate.

To learn more about this mystic power.

To ask her mothers question after question after question.

And they let her.

They answer her questions with no trouble.

They know what it's like to be in her shoes, and will do everything to keep her safe.

They kept her safe for 18 years in this small little town, and they're not about to give up.

Their family is strong, stronger than most.

And yet, her family has been hunted, far more than most.

Witches were thought to be extinct, ever since the nearly nation wide witch trials, but what they didn't know is that they didn't get them all.

In Salem, they celebrated when they burnt the last of the witches, but were completely oblivious to the fact that the witches just simply left town.

The witches left Salem to finds new homes in the United States, and to this day they exist all across the country.

Descendants of the Salem Witches still live and breath.

And some even live in the little town of Hawkins, Indiana...

... where Stranger Things are bound to happen.

 where Stranger Things are bound to happen

✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦