【2】

" As above, so below. As the universe, so the soul. As within, so without."

Lily whispers the chant to herself, over and over and over again. She sits on the edge of her bed, legs crossed. In her left hand, she holds amethyst. In her right hand, she holds clear quartz. The smell of lavender incense fills her nostrils as the wise words of Stevie Nicks plays on her record player. She lets out one, deep breath before she finally opens her big green eyes, and they instantly set on the calendar pinned on her wall.

September 1st, 1985.

The day before school starts.

The day before senior year.

She huffs and then plops back down onto her bed, her long black hair sprawling out around her head. She raises her right hand to bring the crystal up to her eyes to see, and in her boredom, she recites another chant.

" Stiff as a stick, cold as marble. Light as a spirit. Light as a feather, stiff as a board."

Within seconds, the clear quart lifts itself out from her palm and up into the air. She smiles to herself, watching the crystal float around in the air, as if it's dancing to the music. She twirls her finger, making the crystal twirl in the air as well, right before it returns to its original spot in the palm of her hand.

With another deep breath, the lavender incense pales in comparison to the smell of her mother's pot roast swirling up from the kitchen. Lily gets off her bed, places the two crystals down on her window sill, then opens her door to make her way down the stairs, going wherever her nose takes her. She happily enters the kitchen, inhaling the heavenly scent coming from the stove.

" Pot roast?" She asks.

" And pie," Agnes responds as she dishes the food onto three separate plates, " Will you go get her?"

" Where is she?"

" Her spot."

And with that, Lily knows exactly where to go. Her feet covered in knee high black socks walk along the brown wooden floor as she goes to the front door, seeing it's not entirely closed. She opens it just enough for her to walk through the frame, and finds her other mother sitting on their porch swing with smoke flying all around her.

" Dinner's ready," Lily says as her mother slowly inhales, the joint in between two of her fingers resting on her lips.

As the smoke drags out of her lungs, Wanda holds it out towards her daughter, who gives her a questioning look.

" Really?" Lily asks.

" You're 18 now," Wanda shrugs.