【4】

High school is something most people dread. Most of the students don't even want to be there. And Lily is no exception.

She goes about her day, sitting in the back of the classroom and writing in her notebook, but she never lifts her head. She keeps to herself and intends to do so for the rest of the day, up until lunch time comes. She goes down the assembly line and pays for her food, and the moment she turns around, Dustin Henderson is right in front of her eyes. No words are spoken. He just grabs her wrist and guides her over to a table where the rest of his group is already sitting. The moment Mike lifts his head and sees who his friend is dragging over, he can't help but roll his eyes. Dustin forces Lily to sit with them, and she smiles at the sweet gesture.

" Hey, Lily," Lucas says as he waves, leaning closer to the table so he can see her on the other side of Dustin.

" Hi, Lucas," She responds with a smile.

" Aren't you supposed to be with the other seniors?" Mike questions as he looks unamused.

" If I did, you guys wouldn't have any friends," Lily says simply as she opens her water bottle.

Mike rolls his eyes once more, and Lily just ignores it. He was one of the many kids in Hawkins that Lily would babysit, and for whatever reason Mike has never liked her. Not in middle school, and certainly not in high school.

As their meal progresses, the basketball team gets louder and louder in the middle of the cafeteria, catching the eyes of one of the boys. Lily follows Lucas' eyes to the basketball team, then brings her eyes back to him.

" Are you thinking about joining the team?" She asks, " Tryouts are Friday."

And before he can answer, Mike buts in.

" No way," Mike scoffs.

" Actually..." Lucas trails, " I was... thinking about it."

Both Dustin and Mike look at him with eyes wide.

" What?!" Dustin asks, perhaps a little bit too loudly.

Lily flicks his shoulder, and he takes the hint.

" What?" He asks again, this time at a normal volume.

" I mean... yeah? I think it would be cool," Lucas says as he aimlessly picks at his food with a fork.

" I don't think nerds are allowed on the basketball team," Mike says, earning a kick to the shin from Dustin, " Ow!"

" I think it's cool," Lily says, drawing the attention away from the two boys.

And with that, Lucas lifts his head up with a smile.

" Yeah?" He asks, " You think you could make me a good luck potion? Or charm? I don't know which one."

Lily sucks in her lips, her eyes wondering around as she's forced to lie once more.

" Uh..." She trails, " I don't think you need it. I'm sure you can get in all on your own."

" Aw, come on," Lucas whines, " Please?"

He elongates his words, pleading with his bottom lip pushed out in a frown.

" Alright," Lily sighs.