【18】

The thoughts in her mind spiral round and round like a merry-go-round, spinning faster and faster with no exit to be found. Lily can't get the cheerleader's words out of her head. She can't stop thinking about what may be troubling the Cunningham girl and how she could possibly help.

But how can she help when she doesn't know what she's up against?

Lily's daze leads her to be distracted. Distracted to the point where she forgets that she's behind the wheel of a car, and ultimately leads her to a crash.

Her car is wrecked, totaled. Her head rests against the steering wheel, blood dripping from her temple as the car horn plays on a loop. Glass embedded in her body, and steam escaping from the engine.

But her mind... her mind plays something utterly foreign to her. It's all from her own perspective... perhaps a memory? A memory she never knew was there.

The searing pain and blinded whispers all become too much for the young witch. She feels as if she's breaking and being put back together all at once. The influx of magic surrounds her like a bubbling storm, daring to break free at any moment, all while her vision flashes in and out.

From pictures to black.

She sees bits and pieces.

She sees her family's spell books.

Then nothing.

She sees the ring of salt around the house.

Then nothing.

She sees a blurry figure rushing toward her.

Then nothing.

Then she sees a charbroiled corpse laying by her feet as the stench of death fills her nostrils.

Lily gasps back to consciousness, sitting up swiftly as an ever-so-sweet breath fills her lungs just as quickly as it leaves. She panics, heart racing and palms sweating as her mother's side on either side of the young witch to calm her.

And it does anything but.

" What happened?" Lily whispers through a panicked breath.

" Nothing, Lily-pad," Agnes states sweetly.

" What happened?!" Lily questions again with an ever-growing fear, " Who was that?"

" What are you talking about?" Wanda asks.

" There was... there was someone in front of the house and then they..." Lily stops to take a breath, " And then they were dead... burned alive."

Both of the mothers seem to understand Lily's words. Agnes' eyes grow wide as Wanda avoids eye contact altogether.

" What aren't you telling me?" Lily gulps as her eyes flicker between her two mothers.