【3】

" Worries be gone,
I need you no more.
Worries be gone,
out the front door.
Stresses and strains;
worries and strife
leave now,
depart
and be gone from my life.

Worries be gone,
I need you no more.
Worries be gone,
out the front door.
Stresses and strains;
worries and strife
leave now,
depart
and be gone from my life.

Worries be gone,
I need you no more.
Worries be gone,
out the front door.
Stresses and strains;
worries and strife
leave now,
depart
and be gone from my life."

Lily speaks with her eyes closed and fingers latched around the amulet that lays on her chest. She opens her eyes and is greeted with her reflection in the mirror. She lets out a huff as she toys with her hair. She's debating on getting a perm, since it's ever so popular, but it doesn't feel like... her. She likes her hair straight. She likes to wear it down. She doesn't like to douse it with hair spray so it stands up straight and is crunchy to the touch. She loves her natural, raven black hair. Straight as ever, unlike herself.

Lily turns away from the mirror to grab her backpack, she opens the flaps to check the contents, then slings it onto her shoulders to walk out of her room and down the stairs to the kitchen. Her mothers are nearly ready to leave for work, simply sharing a cup of tea as their daughter comes to join them. Agnes is about to get up and make her a cup of tea, but Lily opts for something different. She brews her coffee with sugar and cinnamon, and pours it into a black mug for her to drink.

 She brews her coffee with sugar and cinnamon, and pours it into a black mug for her to drink

" No tea?" Agnes asks.

" I need energy for today," Lily says as she brings the caffeinated beverage up to her lips.

" Tea gives you energy," Agnes retorts.

" Not the kind I need," Lily says, then takes yet another sip of her coffee.

Agnes twiddles with her thumbs, her hands wrapped around her mug. She draws in her bottom lip between her teeth as her bundle of nerves begins to come undone.

" You know what... maybe-maybe you shouldn't go back to school," She says, her head never lifting up to face the two pairs of eyes staring at her, " Maybe mama and I should home school you for your senior year or--"

" Lily will be fine," Wanda says as she puts a hand on her wife's shoulder, " She can survive one more year of high school."

" But what if--"

" No, no, no. No buts, no what ifs," Wanda says sternly, " You know how strong the women of our families are... and Lily is no different. She can handle this."

And Agnes looks into the eyes of her loving wife, finding comfort in the beautiful brown orbs, but soon turns her head to face her daughter.

" If anything happens, and I mean anything..." Agnes starts, " You tell us, and we will take care of it."

" Mom, Hawkins is only rumored to be cursed," Lily says nonchalantly, " I'll be okay."

Agnes shares yet another look with Wanda, but knowing but neither speaking. And Lily thinks nothing of it. She just finishes the last of her coffee, then rinses out the mug in the sink and sets it on the drying rack.