CHAPTER THIRTEEN: BREAKFAST DRAMA

(told in perspective of Danny)

I woke up this morning with a bit of light shining through my tent. I yawned and quietly crawled over to Matthew's sleeping bag to get him up. He moaned and turned away from me. I'll let him sleep. I thought, he was crying all night because of the conversation I brought up, so I kind of owe him. I unzipped the tent and walked out to where the fire had been last night, I started the fire up again and started cooking some of the pancake batter we had taken from the supply center back at base, it made a sizzling sound every time I put down a new pancake and the delicious smell wafted through the air. I wouldn't usually consider myself a cook, but when it came to pancakes, it was hard to resist. I flipped the pancake and I heard a few more tents unzip. Matthew crawled out of his, he looked terrible, his hair messier than usual, his eyes bloodshot, and his clothes all wrinkled. He did have a faint smile and I pointed the spatula I was holding at the stack of pancakes a paper plate had accumulated. Brutus and Pandal were awake next, they looked about as terrible as Matthew, but I just pointed to the plate of pancakes I had made. They smiled but Pandal's face suddenly turned nervous.

"You ok Pandal?" I asked, a bit concerned.

"Yeah..." He gave a fake smile, "...all good." I gave him a suspicious look and he quickly grabbed a pancake and started eating. Draco and Cassandra were the last ones up. They looked like they had slept well but their hair was still a bit messy.

"Hey! Pancakes!" Cassandra ran over and piled three on her plate. I laughed and Draco gave me the same nervous look Pandal had given me earlier. I gave him a questioning look and he smiled and looked away. Weird, what was wrong with them? I took the frying pan off of the fire and put the last pancake I had made on the plate. I grabbed a few pancakes and sat down with everyone else. I need to figure out what's going on with Pandal and Draco, but I don't want to be too pushy.

"Soooo, how'd you guys sleep?" I asked everyone.

"Pretty decent." Echoed around the circle we had made.

"Yeah, I figured I'd make some breakfast to brighten up our mission a little bit." I smiled and bit into my pancake, delicious as always. I continued to eat it and looked at Pandal and Draco who still looked a bit nervous. Ok something's wrong with them, I'd better just ask it right off the bat, I doubt it would be a good thing to let this sit. "Hey guys..." I said looking towards Pandal and Draco.

"Yeahhhh..." They both said nervously.

"Is there something wrong? You've been acting weird all morning." I finally asked. That's when Brutus gave Pandal a nudge and Cassandra did the same with Draco.

"I really like you Danny." They both spit out at the same time. "Wait you like her? But I like her!" They both said in sinc. Brutus and Cassandra gave each other a what did we just do look. I slapped my head.

"Guys, your both really sweet but I don't see you guys like that, I see you as my friends." I said, it was a little harsh, I know, and I probably broke their hearts, but I'd prefer to hold back from dating until the war was over. They both gave disappointed looks and nodded. "It's not your fault guys, I just don't really want to date until this war ends." I laughed and they all gave understanding nods.

"Well! That was fun to watch!" Matthew joked from the back.

"Glad to see someone's in a better mood." I said, sarcastically. He scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh come on! You've gotta admit that was kind of funny! One of the funniest things I've seen in a while!" Draco and Pandal gave him blank stares.

I laughed, "Nah... I think the beating your about to get from these two is gonna be funnier." I joked, out of breath from the amount of laughing I was doing. He gave me a what the heck stare and I gave him a you deserve it stare. He shrugged and nodded. "So! Did everyone like the pancakes?"

There was a chorus of "yep!" "mhm!" and "delicious!" that echoed around the circle. I smiled and started taking their plates.

"We'd better get back to actually doing the mission." I said, stacking up the plates. Everyone nodded and started packing up the camp. I pitched in and Cassandra and Brutus walked over to me.

"Sorry about that." Cassandra started.

"We encouraged it." Brutus said sadly.

"Yeah, we had no idea that they both liked you, it was just a huge mix up." Cassandra said, with a disappointed look.

"It's good..." I leaned over to them, "...another reason that I didn't want to date them was because I would feel terrible for the other guy. I mean, I would've had to choose one right? It would've gotten in the way of a hard worked friendship that took us really long to create. I understand you two were just trying to encourage them to follow their dreams and you had no idea this was going to happen, so it's not really your fault." I smiled and Cassandra and Brutus gave me a look of relief.

"We're glad that your not mad." Brutus said laughing.

"Who says I'm not mad?" Both of their faces turned scared and they tensed up. "Just kidding." I laughed and they both gave a sigh of relief.

"Please don't do that again." Cassandra said and we all laughed. As we finished packing up the tents, I burned the paper plates we had used in the fire, then once the plates were burned, I took the bucket of water we had gotten from last night and I put out the fire. We all shoved our camping gear into the trunk of the car and we all piled in.

"You guys ready?" Draco was now in the driver's seat, considering he had gotten a better night sleep than most of us. We all nodded and he backed up and drove off. I looked out the window, watching the green fields pass by. This mission had better work this time or Matthew's gonna regret it. I laughed to myself and gazed out the window.
TO BE CONTINUED