2

"The Mack" - Beat Circus

     you wake up to birds singing their songs. sun just slightly peeking through your curtains, attempting to find you and wake you from your dreamless sleep. you lay in bed for a bit, the sunlight trickling across your face beautifully. you sit up slowly, grimacing at your aching back. you should see a chiropractor.

     you stretch, yawning quietly. you hear a quiet meow, your sphynx cat looking at you from the foot of the bed. she had stretched at the same time as you, probably hungry. at the mention of food, your stomach grumbled. you let out a sigh of exasperation, remembering that you were so tired last night, you hadn't eaten dinner.

     you look at your bedside clock. thankfully it was around 6 am, meaning you had a bit of time to make breakfast. you get out of bed, your cat, miruku, following after you. you go into your bathroom, miruku waiting outside. taking a quick shower, actually using the bathroom, and brushing your teeth, basically doing all the normal hygiene stuff that you have the time for.

     once you get out of the shower, you feel much better. you blow-dry your hair, wrapping a towel around your body and going back into your room to get dressed. you stick with a tank-top and a long, white, primary colored polka-dot skirt. you grab a can of wet cat food, filling her bowl with dry food first before adding the wet food. you grab your phone before going towards the kitchen, mikuru munching away happily, hearing her purring from the kitchen.

     you decided to make bacon and waffles, starting with bacon. you open the scarcely decorated fridge, taking the bacon packet out. turning on the stovetop, cutting the pack of bacon in half, opening it, and placing half of them in the pan.

     while you cooked, you heard little pitter patter getting closer before mikuru rubbed up against you. you look down at her and blink slowly at her, her returning the gesture. this cat is going to kill you with how cute she is.

     you adopted her only about a year ago, her being the senior in the animal shelter that everyone ignored for the kittens. you had started adopting senior animals a year after moving into your own place, and although it always hurt whenever they passed, it made you happy to give them another chance at being loved.

     you plate your food up, putting the used dishes in the sink for later. you sit down on your living room's couch, mikuru jumping up onto the sofa with you and laying down. you turn the news on, petting your hairless joy while eating.

     the news reporters were talking about stuff you weren't interested in for a few minutes before you heard the word, 'discordant'. they were talking about you. great.

     "the brave pro hero discordant busted a three man group of kidnappers just yesterday! not only were the three kidnapping people, they were selling the poor girls into sex trafficking. the pro hero was able to incapacitate the criminals all by themself in just a few short minutes, and helped the young women into the ambulances. they even broke a camera when reporters were getting too close. due to this, they've taken the internet by storm, becoming popular over night."

     you tilt your head at the last bit, chewing stopping. you take your phone out of your pocket, opening it to see many notifications. oh boy. you go through every single notification, mainly from youtubers you liked tweeting about your accomplishment, people going feral over it, and people you worked with texting you with messages that essentially said, "have you checked twitter??" or other.

     you finish eating, sending back quick and short replies. you get up, mikuru watching you walk away as you put your dishes in the sink. you stretch out your limbs one last time before grabbing your zip up from the chair at the dining table, putting it on but leaving it unzipped. the jacket was color-blocked, torso being red and the sleeves being yellow. you grab your keys, kissing mikuru on the head and putting your boots on at the front door.

     these were your comfort shoes, being chunky with the pattern of classic clown shoes, minus being too big for you. you finish tying your left boot, standing up and unlocking the door. without turning towards the direction the living room is at, you tell her goodbye before opening the door and leaving, not forgetting to lock it.

     you get to might towers, walking in and to the lockers. you change into your hero costume, putting it on carefully, before moving onto the support items. there were a few others in the room as well, but the most you gave to acknowledge them was a nod of your head. you take a few deep breaths, closing your eyes, before exhaling slowly and opening your eyes once more, leaving the lockers and waiting for your next assignment.

     you thought the talk about you saving those girls would've gone down by now, but every time you're out on patrol, you have somebody asking for an autograph or picture. it's been two weeks, and every time you finish an assignment that included getting people arrested, you kept getting more and more attention.

     this was truly jarring. people weren't treating you like an alien anymore. it felt..nice? maybe. you've had heroes talk to you for once, all might was even speaking to you more, albeit not often. it was going to take a while to get used to. you understand why eraserhead only tries to have his patrols be at night.

     you were in the middle of patrol when you felt your phone vibrate in your pocket. you unbutton the pocket, taking your phone out. it was an unknown number. you sigh, although you were anxious about answering it, you felt like it was a good idea to.

     you answer the call with a quiet hello. the person over the phone has a smooth, feminine, and authoritative voice.

     "hello, is this discordant?" you purse your lips under your mask, before humming, "mhm." you could hear the smile in her voice, saying, "great! i'm chihiro imai, the founder of snapz, we run a magazine and would love if you appeared in one of our new releases."

     you furrow your brows slightly, "like..a photoshoot or something?" the lady laughs softly, confirming your thoughts, "yes, a photoshoot! it also always includes an interview."

     you look around the area you're in, watching people go about their day. you weigh the pros and cons. "i agree. i have some rules."

     the business woman hums at that, encouraging you to continue. "i don't want my style to get muddled down to what people are wearing nowadays. and don't ask about my mother."

     chihiro agrees to your terms, and you both set up a date and time. upon getting off the phone, you found yourself giddy with unrest. its like you were looking forward to it. you scratched the back of your neck, putting your phone back in your pocket and continuing your patrol.

     what has your life come to?