Chapter 2

The ebony hedgehog looked at his rival to see a look of absolute confusion. But it soon turned to shock when Shadow pulled out one of his famous pistols. A rev of an engine caught the attention of a very familiar bat. Rouge looked over, recognising a familiar bike sitting there with a small passenger looking identical to the furious hedgehog stalking in the direction of one Dr Eggman.

"Shadow! What a surprise! How was your trip?....Shadow?" Eggman squeaked out as a furious hedgehog stalked towards him. Sonic noticed the look of terror on the doctors face especially when Shadow telaported grabbing the doctors neck and throwing him to the ground. A hand on Sonic's shoulder helped him come to a standing, the hero looked in his helps direction to see Tails who stood next to Knuckles who still held the unconscious Chameleon. Sonic looked at his purple friend in sadness.

Espio had received some recent news and after his journey on earth, he had caught a known illness and he was currently dying of it but still fought on to live longer. He needed chaos energy to stay alive and Knuckles was more than willing to help. Part of the chaotix, Mighty and Ray had set out on a journey to find a known flower that could potentially cure the sick Chameleon. 

A gun shot went off followed by a cry of terror bringing the hero's attention from the Chameleon back to the present. "SHADOW!" Rouge yelled, gaining the hedgehog's attention. The ebony hedgehog looked in the direction of Sonic and his friends with a glare before turning to the shaking doctor on the ground staring back at him in fear. Shadow growled, baring his teeth picking up his gun which he had disregarded when throwing a punch at the doctor. 

Shadow turned to leave but stopped in his tracks to throw something at the doctor which hit him squarely in the face. Dr Eggman looked down at the object before picking it up and gasping out-loud. 

"Don't ever send your goons out to me ever again as maybe next time. I might not leave them breathing next time" as soon as the cold dark words left the ebony hedgehog's mouth, Shadow stalked off away from the battle and towards his bike. Ignoring the curious looks coming from Sonic and his pals. The rev of an engine was all that could be heard through the thick dust from the sand below. 

Dr Eggman looked down at the object holding it close. There in a small bag was all the trackers to the robots he had sent after the ebony hedgehog. In hopes to get rid of his grandfather's creation. He would now have to tell G.U.N. he had failed and he wasn't looking forward to that conversation. Turning the doctor noticed the equally shocked looks on Sonic and his friends who started making their way back to their homes.

Back at Tails workshop…

"Lay him down on the bed, Knuckles" Tails ordered the echidna who looked at Rouge for reassurance, she nodded. Knowing that Knuckles was like Espios older brother and he was very over protective of the Chameleon. Tails was quick to hook Espio up to the machines to monitor him. Rouge noticed Sonic was lurking in the doorway lost in thought.

"What's the matter, big blue?" Rouge curiously asked. Sonic looked up to see everyone looking at him including Knuckles who held tightly to Espio's hand. Feeling too much pressure, the hero stalked out of the room and into the kitchen where a familiar pink hedgehog was making some food for them all. 

Sonic was aware of the group following him into the living room of Sonic's House. Since Tails workshop was right next door. The only one who didn't follow was Knuckles, not that it surprised him. The echidna was set on one goal and that was to keep the Chameleon alive. Vector thanked the world that he had dropped Charmy off at Vanillas so he could keep him out of his hair. Cream was excited to have Charmy over despite the circumstances. Vector couldn't lose his best-friend; he and Espio had gone through too much together. For it to end now, it would be devastating.