Chapter 18

Sonic sighed for what felt like the hundredth time as he waited in a room with the rest of his mobian friends. The commander had told them to wait in the room as he discussed the next plan of action with the president who wasn’t happy about the recent events and had guaranteed the mobians would be home soon. There were just a few things to discuss before they could be sent home. Although it had only been a few minutes since the commander had left, it felt like hours to the cobalt hedgehog, the only reason he wasn’t pacing was due to the fact. Shadow was asleep in his lap, the black and red hedgehog was exhausted and had made himself comfortable in the hero’s lap. 

A smirking bat sat opposite the two hedgehogs beside a worried echidna who only had eyes for the purple chameleon in Mighty’s arms. Espio hadn’t said much since he had woken up, instead the ninja had settled himself in the armadillo's arms to relax, he was on the edge of sleeping but his eyes would always widen when sleep nearly overcame him. Despite Mighty’s reassurance that it was okay to go to sleep, Espio just couldn’t. He needed to speak to Knuckles in private about the Shinobi Clan, he hoped it was a dream but since the appearance of his new tattoo, it was becoming a thinking hazard. Knuckles wasn’t the only one concerned for the purple chameleon, the rest of the mobians were and it was starting to annoy Espio just a little bit but he held his tongue. 

“Enough starring!” Shadow grumbled to the room, the group turned to see the ebony hedgehog shift slightly in Sonic’s lap as he glared around the room. His hormones radiating through his anger, Sonic gently stroked the dark quills to help calm the ultimate lifeform. “What?” Vector asked, looking at Shadow in confusion who grunted. “Stop staring at Espio, you're making him uncomfortable”. All of them took a glance at Espio who only slouched further into Mighty’s arms, the armadillo had his own glare on his face. Knuckles cleared his throat, gaining everyone's attention. The guardian pointed at the door signalling that the commander was heading their way. Eclipse shared a look with Nic who smirked, it was time. 

“Sonic and friends. It is by my honour that I will escort you to the portal that will send you home. You are more than welcome to take Dr Eggman with you at the president's request” Abraham said with a glint of happiness in his eyes which quickly disappeared as a serious facial expression crossed his face. The mobians all made their way to their own feet well, all except Espio who had given into sleep. 

Shadow grumbled to himself as Sonic led him through the maze of the G.U.N. base, his old home in a sense. They were finally heading back to Emerald Hills. Soon enough the group reached the lab of the facility, the chaotix led the way. Vector excitedly talked with Knuckles about the first thing he was going to do when he got back, the guardian of course was going to check on the master emerald. 

Sonic smiled when he saw Chris and Helen, the two waved them over. Standing beside them was Manic and Sonia with Queen Alena. The cobalt hedgehog raced over to his siblings and hugged them tightly, his mother rubbed his ears in her own type of affection. 

“Shadow, may I have a word?” Abraham asked gesturing for the grumpy hedgehog to follow him. Shadow only shrugged, he gestured for Rouge to keep an eye on Omega who was watching over Dr Eggman. The bat nodded signalling for him to be careful, he nodded but carefully showed her something in his grasp. She shook her head at the familiar weapon he could materialise. 

“Shadow. First and foremost. I would like to apologise for my actions and attitude towards you. I never took into account your feelings regarding the incident up on the Ark. I was blinded by anger over Maria’s death, that I took it out on you and made sure that the experiments us humans did on you would be painful. I must apologise in advance, I do not want to do this but by order of the president, I don’t have a choice” Abraham said, Shadow looked at him with a frown, he took a step back only for armed soldiers to appear behind him. He glanced out of the corner of his eye to see if he could catch Sonic’s eye but the hero wasn’t looking his way. However, someone was and the eyes belonging to the mobian were furious.