Chapter 6

Back at the lodges…

Sonic watched as his siblings interacted with the rest of the gang. The cobalt hedgehog frowned when Tails and Silver entered the doorway with the fox depositing Shade in the hero's arms. It was starting to get dark outside and the group had to abide by Nics rules if they wanted to go home.

"Hey! Who's that?" Manic asked trudging up to his brother. Sonic looked up, snapping out of his dreamy state. "This is Shade. Mine and Shadow's daughter". Gasps admitted all around the room while Knuckles had an 'I told you so' face directed at Rouge who crossed her arms in defeat. Amy let out a low growl, Espio turned to look at the pink hedgehog with an eyebrow raised. "WHAT!" Amy screamed at him, Espio held his hands up when she grabbed her hammer. A gasp emitted from her when the chaotix suddenly surrounded the Chameleon, she ignored the looks she was getting before storming out of the Sonics lodge and towards the flower gardens. Her hammer is long forgotten. 

"Tails?" "Yeah Sonic" "Not to sound rude bud, but why did you have Shade?" "Oh, because Nic and Shadow went to search for S." "WHAT!" Sonic cried out startling poor Shade who whimpered. "I'm sorry, but Shadz is in trouble when he gets back". Shade just looked at Sonic with a head tilt before demanding down. As soon as Shade was on her feet, she zipped across to Knuckles and climbed up his leg. The guardian smiled while the others stood mesmerised at her speed. 

"So did you talk to Shadow?" Rouge asked Sonic quietly. Sonic shook his head. "Sonic?" "I know Rouge, but I got caught up last night but when he gets back we will be speaking". "Caught up?" Rouge laughed. "Seriously! That's all you got!" Sonic threw his hands up in disbelief. "I'm joking big blue, don't get your tail in a knot!" Rouge joked as she walked away back to annoy her boyfriend. 

Sonic and his friends decided to sit and get some rest which meant some had to stay up to occupy the kids eg. Shade and Manic who will never grow up. It turns out the triplets and Silver stayed awake, Sonia and Silver reminiscing on history while Manic got to know his niece with Sonic watching them all. To be truthful, Sonic was worried about having his talk with Shadow since the dark hedgehog didn't seem to do much talking these days and was deemed more withdrawn. He was more of an action type of guy and he proved it last night to Sonic. Not that Sonic can blame him, rare few can resist the hero charm. 

Elsewhere…

Nic was regretting bringing Shadow with him but he knew if he didn't the young hedgehog would find a way to come himself. Ever since Nic had gotten to know Shadow he saw him as a son and it only grew when he helped raise Shade while Shadow was stuck in this dimension. It was S, who became the father figure to Shadow while Nic took the mothering role on. 

"Nic! Look over here!" Nic smiled hearing his name called, his thoughts drifting for the time being. Stumbling into the area, Shadow had been looking in. Nic almost fell apart when he saw a familiar symbol etched in a tree sending a message that S. Was on his way home. 

Nic shared a smile with Shadow but it soon turned into a groan when he heard the click of a gun. Shadow raised an eyebrow when Nics body language turned defensive. A chuckle behind Shadow had him raise his game; Nic reached for the black and red hedgehog and pulled him behind himself. For once, Shadow didn't argue. He listened, which was rare for the ultimate lifeform unless you were Nic or S. 

"Mephiles?" Nic called out recognising the chuckles but when another set of laughter was heard, a shiver ran up Shadow's spine. He found himself inching towards Nic who welcomed him in. 

"Scrouge?!" Shadow whispered.

"My dear Shadow, how much my son and I have missed you. Are you ready to wed my son?" Mephiles spoke with a gravely sick tone. Scrouge smirked, enjoying watching Nic become more defensive.