Chapter 11

Never in all his years did Knuckles think the Black Arms would willingly help out mobians. He couldn’t get his head wrapped around it, with skill Knuckles worked his way through the crowd of Mephiles' army fighting the black arms towards Mighty who now stood just beside Espio and Shadow. 

“How’s he doing?” Knuckles asked, taking a deep breath, his arm was sore from his recent injury. Mighty only had eyes for the creatures behind Knuckles and Black Doom who fought beside the royals and Nic. Mighty shrugged, Knuckles sighed into his glove knowing the armadillo wasn’t one for words. 

A sudden groan had the two freedom fighters' attention fully on the chameleon, who had started sweating. It was quite a worrying sight to the echidna and armadillo.

“Knuckles!”. The echidna turned around to see Charmy, Cheese and Cream running towards them. “What are you guys doing out of hiding?” Knuckles exclaimed, he watched the three, okay maybe more Cream and Charmy twiddle their thumbs. “We were hiding when these black creatures came into the room and they were so huge, with big teeth and muscles bigger than…”. “Get to the point, Charmy” “Oh sorry, Knuckles. But, we noticed something green shoot into the sky in Mephiles kingdom, so we came to warn you”. Knuckles nodded allowing Cream, Charmy and Cheese to stay as long as they didn’t touch Espio or Shadow. The three nodded, sitting in the tree above Espio to stay hidden.

“Did they say, green light?” Nic asked, while bent over and gasping for breath. Knuckles nodded aware of the fact their Sonic would never be this out of breath. “Nic!” Aria shouted while running over with Shadwick leaning on her slightly. The cyan hedgehog looked up and put an arm of his partners around his own shoulders. Shadwick nodded in thanks, he was very pale to the point it concerned Knuckles. “Charmy, Cream and Cheese mentioned a green light going into the sky within Mephiles kingdom. From your faces it seems that is not something good”. Nic, Shadwick and Aria stood with frowns of shock. 

“Indeed it is not good” a deep hoarse voice reached all of their ears as Black Doom came to stand behind Shadwick and Nic. The cyan hedgehog smiled at the alien almost like a kid in a candy store. Knuckles could only imagine what their Sonic would be like next to the alien. Espio groaned. “Your friend seems to be struggling”. Mighty looked at the alien with a ‘Are you for real?’ face. Knuckles sent him a warning look, Mighty frowned, turning his full attention on a certain chameleon. 

“What does the green light mean?” Charmy asked out of curiosity.

“Young one, it means Mephiles is winning. He has sent a challenge to his brother” Black Doom explained. 

“Mr Doom, who is Mephiles brother?” Cream asked with the biggest smile possible. Knuckles shook his head, so much for them staying out of this. 

“Shadwick” Black Doom’s response was met with silence. Knuckles frowned, the King was hardly standing on his own feet how in Mobius could he fight Mephiles. “Doom and gloom, if you haven’t noticed Shad can hardly stand, how the hell is he going to fight '' Nic exclaimed, pointing out the obvious. Black Doom chuckled, “He is not”. “Then who is?” Charmy asked this time, receiving a warning glare from a certain red echidna. 

“Me”. All heads turned to the newcomer. 

“Who are you?” Nic asked, looking at Aria for help who shrugged, her attention was divided between the newcomer and her brother, Shadwick. 

“My name is Eclipse and Shadwicks older brother, Mephiles doesn’t know I'm still alive so let's keep it that way” Eclipse explained, he moved so he was in front of Shadwick. The group watched as Eclipse focussed some of his energy into his younger brother, bringing back some of his colour. “That’s all I can give you, brother. Hold on, please” Shadwick nodded, leaning further into Nic who held him steadily while nodding in ‘thanks’ to Eclipse who smiled back.