Chapter 13

It had been a week since the group had travelled through the portal and had found themselves back on Earth not just any Earth but Chris’s. The freedom fighters couldn’t believe it when their portal landed them in Chris’s back garden. They had certainly made a splash with most of them landing in the outdoor swimming pool. Although the group was not whole, it seemed that Chris was now a young adult but remembered them all and already had his friends and family trying to get the group home. 

The past week had been chaotic, Knuckles had taken charge since a certain speedster was still unconscious. The echidna made sure everyone was safe and secure and this included Queen Alena who introduced herself to Chris with Sonic’s siblings. One thing Knuckles knew was they had to get home quicker than last time. The freedom fighters who hadn’t been on Earth didn’t like it one bit, they much preferred their own home but they were dearly missing their loved ones. Knuckles frowned; they still didn’t know whether their friends were dead or alive. He didn’t want to think like that, he just had to be reasonable. 

A groan to Knuckle's right made him look up to see Sonic waking from his unconscious state. 

“Sonic?”

“Tails?”

“Sorry buddy, it's me Knuckles?” 

“Where’s Tails?”

Knuckles sighed out-loud which made Sonic sit up with a look of sadness, “Is he still missing?” Sonic asked, receiving a nod from Knuckles. 

“Where are we Knucks?” Sonic questioned, changing the topic quickly.

Knuckles shook his head, “You wouldn’t believe it if I told you, so follow me”. Sonic nodded, slipping his shoes back on and following the echidna out of what looked like a medical bay. Soon images started flashing through his head as little reminders. “Knuckles are we…?”. Sonic soon found his answer as he squinted under the sunlight and saw a very familiar face staring back at him. 

“Chris?”

“Sonic!” 

The two former friends met in the middle, Chris kneeled down, giving his favourite blue hedgehog a hug. Which would have lasted a long time if a nearby boom in the distance didn't catch their attention. 

“What was that?” Amy asked, looking at Chris. 

Chris shrugged, “Well it's near the beach so it could be…”, a certain speedster didn’t feel like sticking around, he ran for the booming noise only to groan. “Hehe, Dr Eggman has returned!”. 

Sonic groaned hearing his friends catch up. Mighty, Vector, Knuckles, Amy, Silver, Blaze, Rouge and Omega had appeared, the others opting to stay back.

“Hey Egghead, it’s been a while!” Sonic jokes, Dr Eggman turned to him with a frown which soon turned into a grin. “Sadly, not too long you blue rat”. Sonic frowned but he wasn’t the only one frowning, this eggman didn’t look like the one they knew. “For the last time I am not a rat, I’m a hedgehog!” Sonic exclaimed sick of this already. “Hey doctor have you got older?” Rouge asked out of curiosity. Come to think of it, the doctor did look older. Dr Eggman gasped, “How dare you insinuate that, I am barely…hmm come to think of it, how old am I?”. Sonic stood on the spot tapping his foot, he yawned bored already. Knuckles smirked, signalling to Blaze and Silver who both smiled in return. 

Within seconds the two futuristic mobians used their powers and dismantled the robot Dr Eggman had arrived in and left the confused doctor sitting on the sand. Rouge moves forward with Omega by her side, gaining a closer look as she gasps. “Knuckles!”. The echidna wastes no time and runs over to the bat, “What is it?”. "His name tag says Gerald Robotnik. I think we may have caused a time problem”. Sonic looked over at the group and joined with the others.