14

The elevator ride wasn't as awkward as I'd thought it would be. It was actually really fun.

"How old are you?" Five asked, turning to me.

"13, physically, but mentally I'm 56," I say.

"Wait- really? How is that possible?" He asked, astonished.

I turned to him, "It's quite a long story but because I'm the number 8 in the family, I was pretty much Reginald's guinea pig. He used me for so-called 'testing' but at one point the testing went wrong. My physical age was busy decreasing while my mental age was increasing. My mind was stuck in some sort of trance only I could understand but apparently I was only stuck for 17 years according to Reginald. But I counted the years in my mind and I was stuck for 56 years. I don't know where I was but all I remember was some kind of black void. I'm surprised I didn't go crazy after all that time." I tell him.

"Would it be weird if I told you I was stuck in an apocalypse for 45 years?" He suddenly asks me.

I pause. "Probably not."

He snorts out a laugh. I smile.

Just then the elevator doors ding and I make my way to my room. I turn around to tell him goodbye.

"This was fun," I say.

"Yeah. It was." He replies.

I wave, getting off. He waves back, his lips turned up in a small smile.

He's cute.