36-40

36

Next day.

Ruan Xi was currently in the Main Courtyard learning how to read the ledger. As she looked at the clear and coherent records, her acknowledgement of Zhang shi's abilities heightened.

The noble wives who were capable of steadying their positions as the matriarch would always have an aspect of household management that they were proficient in.

Last night, the Earl had made a trip to Limpid Heart Garden after dinner to show her some concern, while asking how her lessons in household management were going. She did not expect that early this morning, she would receive word from her legitimate mother Zhang shi, asking Ruan Xi to learn how to read the ledger with her, and then learning how to calculate using the abacus with the Accounts Office.

Silently, Ruan Xi gave her Earl Father a thumbs-up.

His effectiveness was second to no one; judging from her legitimate mother's thick make-up alone, she reckoned she must have lost sleep last night because of her anger.

"I've already taught you how to read and record this ledger. You can take a look at this ledger first to see if there are any problems, if there is something that you don't understand, you can ask me later."

After Zhang shi uttered those words, she handed Ruan Xi the ledger for a cloth business.

Ruan Xi accepted the ledger before she hung her head down respectfully and said: "This daughter understands, thanking Mother."

Zhang shi hummed faintly in response.

Holding the ledger, Ruan Xi went to the side to look over it. In a very sensible manner, she chose not to bother Zhang shi again.

Truthfully speaking, she had already seen the bookkeeping account book in the needlework room, and she had asked Mama Lin about things she did not understand.

Zhang shi was evidently clear about this, because she was probably only conducting these lessons for appearance's sake in front of the Earl.

Ruan Xi did not mind. They could perform together.

Unfortunately, this morning was fated to be disquiet.

Just as Ruan Xi sat down and started flipping through the ledger, the runner older woman-servant came in to report.

"Furen, Marquis Huaiyang Residence's Qi er gongzi has come to visit the Third Young Lady."

The hand that Ruan Xi was holding the ledger with stilled, and her lips raised slightly. The fact that Qi Yue An was visiting the broken-legged Ruan san niang, would probably be a cause of happiness for Ruan san niang in a short while.

Once Zhang shi heard that Qi er gongzi was here to visit the counterfeit, her expression distorted a little instantaneously, before she revealed a joyous smiling expression.

"Quickly invite Qi er gongzi inside."

With how anxious Ruan san niang was for Qi Yue An, Ruan Xi started having a shred of curiosity towards the husband who had pampered the original owner in the original novel.

A few moments later, Qi er gongzi stepped in, and a young male servant clad in black clothes and hugging a wooden case trailed after him.

In the instant where Ruan Xi saw Qi er gongzi, astonishment spread across her face, and she thought she had seen wrongly.

The young man wearing brightly coloured and gaudy clothes, with rouge and powder so thickly applied and white on his face that it made for terrifying sight, and bringing in an extremely pungent and greasy smell of cosmetics once he stepped into the reception hall, was Qi Yue An, the man who had doted on the original owner for her entire life?