46-50

46

When Ruan Xi and Wen Ting Zhou's line of sight interweaved, the guests in the middle seemed to become non-existent, and their eyes were unconsciously tinted with a few parts of joy.

Clad in dark-red brocade robe, Wen Ting Zhou's tall stature looked handsome and elegant with an eminent temperament as he stood among a group of noble sons. From the womenfolk's side, the young ladies at their prime would constantly, albeit unwittingly, steal a few looks at him.

Most people were fond of beautiful things, it had nothing to do with affection.

Wen Ting Zhou's concubine-born younger brothers, paternal male cousins, and fellow brothers were equally handsome in appearance, and the gazes that landed on their persons were not few either.

Upon noticing the fact that Wen Ting Zhou's line of sight had fallen on the womenfolk, the faces of the young ladies whose tables were closest to Ruan Xi became slightly red and they could not help but correct their sitting postures. When they finally realised that Wen Ting Zhou was looking at the luminous, magnificent and incomparably beautiful Ruan Xi who was in their midst, they could not resist secretly mocking themselves for imagining that their love was reciprocated.

Ruan Xi did not take heed of the small disturbances in her surroundings. After she and Wen Ting Zhou exchanged looks for a brief moment, they retracted their gazes simultaneously without prior agreement.

"Si mei, pay attention to the venue. This is a celebratory hall, don't be improper and exchange gazes with other men." Ruan san niang's voice abruptly rang out, and the gaze she was using on Ruan Xi had a faint shred of jealousy.

"San niang is being excessive in her speech. Disregarding the fact that Ting Zhou da ge and I merely met each other's gaze unintentionally, Ting Zhou da ge isn't an outsider either. He's my fiancé, how am I exchanging gazes with other men?" Ruan Xi replied, neither fast nor slow.

Ruan san niang laughed coldly.

"Truly, si mei's teeth and mouth are becoming sharper and fiercer."

As she thought about how she had become her fourth sister's foil, the hatred in Ruan san niang's heart hit an extreme.

Ruan Xi stopped acknowledging Ruan san niang.

Meanwhile, Zhang shi fervently wished she could slap the counterfeit by her side to death. She could not resist shooting the counterfeit a furtive glare, but when she saw the jewellery on the counterfeit and si niang's person, she felt a burst of joy in her heart.

At this moment, Wen furen, who was in-charge of welcoming the womenfolk, walked over, and she immediately apologised.

"Ruan furen, the guests are numerous. For the overlong neglect, one asks for your pardon."

Zhang shi looked overwhelmed by the favour from a superior as she quickly stood up to reply:

"It's alright, it's alright, Wen furen, yõu have been busy."

"Ruan Xi has seen Wen furen." Ruan Xi stood up elegantly and bowed with womanly obeisance.

Wen furen held her hands affectionately as she scrutinised her, her eyes filled with satisfaction. Smiling, she said teasingly, "We have not met for a period of time, but with your transformation, I nearly failed to recognise you. It appears that Mama Lin has taught you incredibly well."

Ruan Xi was about to speak when there was a wave of disturbance from the crowd. It turns out Wen Ting Zhou had ambled over from the male guests' section.