I won't leave you

The two had been having these chases for a couple of years, Rogue being caught stealing by the detective with a rooftop chase that followed shortly after. However, it was less like a cat and mouse chase and more like two friends fucking around.

Whenever Almond caught up to Rogue, he’d just take back whatever they stole and then let them go. And if Rogue got away, they got to keep whatever they stole and rub it in the next time they met. The two enjoyed this little routine, they found it fun. However, one misstep could send the chase from a fun game to a near-death scenario.

Luckily that had never happened.
...
Well at least not until tonight.

Almond was right behind Rogue, it looked as though he was about to catch them. Rogue leaped from the building they were on, attempting a smooth landing to the next. However they landed on a loose brick, one that fell right after they landed on it. Unfortunately, Almond hadn’t had enough time before jumping to realize that the spot he was aiming to land on had fallen. He missed the jump and instead crashed into the edge of the building, barely hanging on.

And to his horror, his grip slipped and he fell.

He felt someone take his arm as he started to fall, and looked up to see a shaken up Rogue, with a tight grip on his arm with both hands. Almond sighed in relief, and pulled himself up. When he was safe and sound, Rogue pulled him into a hug and buried their face into his shoulder.

“Aw, Rogue, were you worried about me?” Almond teased, hugging Rogue back.
“You could’ve died, jerk.” they mumbled as they squeezed him harder.
“But I’m fine, see?” he said as he took Rogue’s face and cupped it in his hands, wiping the tears from their face. “I’m perfectly fine. A little scraped and bruised, but I’ll be okay.”

Rogue was silent for a moment, seemingly deep in thought. Almond took notice of this and turned their face towards him, giving them a quick peck on the lips, in a sort of attempt to calm them down. Rogue chuckled and covered their mouth with their hand.

“Lord, such a sap.”
“Mhm.” Almond said as he tucked Rogue’s hair behind their ear and cupped their jaw in his hand. “It wasn’t your fault, y’know? You didn’t know that the building would fall apart when you landed on it.”
“Still…” Rogue sighed.
“Still it wasn’t your fault.” he said comfortingly. He stood up and brushed off his legs, sticking his hand out for Rogue to take. “C’mon, you win for tonight, ‘kay?”

Rogue rolled their eyes and stood up, and when they did they hissed in pain and stumbled into the detective.

“Ah—ow.” they mumbled. They had probably landed on the brick weird and twisted their ankle.
“Rogue?! Are you okay, what happened??” Almond said frantically as he helped Rogue stand up straight.
“Ah, I just hurt myself when I landed, detective. I’m fine, just in a bit of pain. You don’t have to worry!”
“Whenever you say ‘you don’t have to worry’ that’s how I know I have to worry.” Almond said as he helped Rogue stand up straight.

He stood up and helped Rogue get onto his back. He adjusted his grip on them so he was sure they wouldn’t fall off. He walked over to the ladder at the edge of the building and started climbing down, Rogue tightening their grip on him when they saw how high up they were. For a thief who’s main way of escape was from rooftops, they were pretty afraid of heights.

When they got to the ground Almond helped Rogue stand up straight. It was obvious that they wouldn’t be able to walk alone, let alone make it back to their place.

“I’m taking you back to my place.” Almond said as he looked back at Rogue.
“But what if-”
“You don’t have to worry about us getting caught, I have a shortcut through the alleys that leads straight to where I parked my car, we’ll be fine. Just relax.”
“But-”
“Rogue. I won’t leave you,” Almond said as they took Rogue’s hand and squeezed it. “not like this.”

Rogue, while hesitant, agreed. Almond placed them back on their back and started walking. Rogue stayed silent as the detective made his way between the alleys until he made it to a secluded parking garage. He walked through the empty garage until he found a car in the corner that was covered by a dirty sheet. He placed Rogue down gently, making sure they weren’t putting pressure on their ankle, and walked over to the car. He took the sheet and tugged it off the car, dust flying everywhere when he did so.

“I do this so I don’t get my car broken into, after all it just looks like an abandoned car with a sheet over it when I do this.” he explained to Rogue, who just nodded in response.

Almond unlocked the car and picked Rogue up again, placing them in the back seat. He told them to just relax, and that they could lie down if they wanted. Rogue sprawled out in the backseat and groaned, even if they weren’t putting pressure on their ankle, it still hurt like hell.
Almond gave them a sympathetic look as he started the car and drove out of the garage, making his way back to his apartment. Rogue sat silently for a moment, wanting to say something but not sure what to say at all. After a couple of minutes they decided to just say screw it and say what was on their mind.

“Almond?” they said quietly.
“Yes Rogue?” Almond said as he glanced back at Rogue in his mirror.
“..I love you, thank you…for this I mean. I really appreciate it.”
“It’s no problem, I don’t mind doing it at all.” Almond replied. “And, I love you too.”

Rogue smiled and relaxed, as fell asleep for the rest of the ride to Almond’s apartment.