C'est bon

Rain thrummed on the window, as it had for the whole day. It was well last sunset now, and the stars and moon were blocked out by a thick blanket of dark clouds. Thunder rolled, just as lightning cracked across the sky, giving off the false effect of daylight.

Almond hunched over his desk, the eraser end of a pencil tapping against his temple. He was close to figuring it out now, he could feel it. How long was it he had been at it now?

He glanced at his watch- right, he couldn't see it, the lights weren't on. He had gotten used to the dark. He flipped his desklamp on; The small clock on his wrist read '10:45.' Good thing he had gotten Latte to babysit Walnut for the night.

The Detective must have been kept busy for hours, as he hardly noticed the storm roll in, let alone the nightfall. Almond glanced back to the hefty stack of papers on his desk, remembering the task at hand.

A magical incident had occurred, as it always had, however this one required much more paperwork than it did anything else. He ran a hand through his hair compulsively, finally lowering himself back in his office chair. It's late nights like these that made him overthink, hell, practically everything under the sun. The work had become such a menial task to him, it was almost second nature; However, because it took less focus, Almond had plenty of time to be in his own thoughts.

With a slight thump, he rested his head on the desk. Almond was tired, he knew that. Still, he made himself promise he'd stay in until he finished. A gentle tapping at his office window caused him to turn, and look up.

There, perched on the ledge, was the beaming face of Phantom Bleu.

"May I come in?" They waved, voice barely audible through the wind and glass pane between them.

Almond immediately opened the window, and Roguefort Cookie slinked inside. "Oven's sake, Rogue, you're soaking!" The Detective exclaimed, concerned.

Roguefort was, indeed, completely wet with the rain. They tossed their hat haphazardly across the room and hummed to themselves while unbraiding their hair, removing the ribbons accordingly. "Really? I haven't noticed, dear!" They said with joking sarcasm, finally draping themselves dramatically over Almond's chair. "Seems like you've been busy..."

The Thief took off their gloves, shifting through the work Almond had been doing. In the years they had known the Detective, Rogue had noticed he would often become so honed-in on a task, the outside world dissipated behind him.

"...Have you considered finishing this later?"

Almond shoved his hands in his pockets, pacing the small but still comfortable room. Of course he had considered stopping for a moment, but would he? ...Likely not. Too much to be done He had no deadline, but...even so, he had a lot to do. Better to get it over with. "Later? It's already almost 11:00..."

Rogue tilted their head. "I mean, as in tomorrow, dearest. You should get some rest." They held out one of their hands, legs propped up on the desk. Almond held it gently.

"I will, Rogue, I-" He stifled a yawn, covering his mouth. The Detective was painfully aware of how exhausted he must have looked. "I've just gotta get through this."

Roguefort gave Almond's arm a slight tug, pulling him closer. Almond kneeled next to his chair, and Rogue leaned downward towards him. "Alms, mon amour, I would greatly appreciate it!" They swung their legs off of the desk, using their cane for support. Shivering, they lowered themselves to the floor as well. "How...long have you been working?"

Almond glanced at his watch again, which was just now beeping due to it turning 11:00. He had gotten in at nine, and this case file at 4... "Six hours or so?"