vii. The Ghost of You

Summer of 2017 Thailand

" Objection speculation, lack of foundation" - New

It was an exhausting trial, it drained every energy I had left. Adding to my pervert client who keeps on touching me under the table. I sighed, I would never have accepted this not for my boss' adamant bidding.

I threw a glance on Earth at the back with the other junior lawyers from our firm who are studying this case as well. He gave me an encouraging look.

Earth Pirapat Watthanasetsiri a fellow senior lawyer at our firm, a long-time friend from college whom I had romantic feelings for, well secretly because he doesn't bend that way that I do.

*Squeeze...

The asshole squeezing my thighs again, If only I could swat his hands away.

"Would you want to have dinner later?" - Aj Chayapol

Leaning too closely to me while squeezing my thighs. We were sitting in a courtroom for a 15-minute break.
This good sir who constantly kept touching me was my client I badly wanted to punch in the face.
He was sued for gambling and sexual harassment, I would not be defending this kid if only my boss who is a friend of his dad and a politician didn't ask me. His dad a famous senator is a kind mind so I am wondering why he has a son like this, turns out he was a stepson. An infamous one.

I gave him a forced smile and declined. After this case, I would never see him again. Because I am a competent lawyer we are sure to win this even if in the back of my mind that this trash deserves to go to jail.

After a few more hours the case was finished and we won. We were now heading out and I had Earth beside me and the juniors following us when Non came to us and insisted to give me a lift. He was so persistent as he want to treat us to dinner as well.
We had no choice but to go. As we were walking down the halls one of the father's victims was in the halls as well.

He was calm and collected the sadness evident in his eyes. He was the father of one of the victims that took her life. I was saddened and felt pity for him but I have no choice as well.

"It is not your fault New, you were just doing your job. Its alright justice will be served in a different manner" - Earth

He patted me on the shoulders Earth was always kind, he is a soft-hearted guy outside of court and I admire him for that. As we pass the father's victim. I heard him say.

"I know it was hopeless from the start." - the victim's father

He said coldly. The next thing I knew was chaos. Everybody was shouting, I saw Non sprawled on the floor. Everybody was in a panic about how he slipped through security I don't know. There were just a loud bang 2 shots.
I saw his face of remorse, hatred, and death like he had given everything up.

Then he looked at me with contempt.

"It those who protect evil that they get away from it" - victim's father

The gun was aimed at me then 2 shots resounded in the air. I was unable to move out of shock and stay rooted to where I was. I felt warmth on my chest. When I looked down Earth who was beside me, was now hugging me his blood slowly drenched my suit. Another shot fired and Earth's body shook. I was terrified to see his face in pain. Then continuos shots followed as I saw the victim's father being gunned down.

Earth slid to the floor from my embrace, I was clutching him hard. My eyes were already filled with tears.

"Help... Helppp... Meee... Noooo.. Earth stay with love stayy pleasee.. " - New

I shouted in between sobs, he was lying on my lap we were both drenched with his blood pooling all around.

"No no no...please Earth darling please, I love you ... I love you don't leave me" - New

Earth just smiled, clutching my hands.

"I know I love you too" - Earth

Then he vomits a whole lot of blood. Medics arrived and take over Earth's body, they were trying to put first aid on him since he was shot 3 times in the back. I was still holding on to his hand that had reached for me, he was conscious as he turned his head to look at me. He mouthed me.

" I love you "- Earth

Then he let go, his hand turned cold. The medics stopped working and shook their heads. I looked at them confused.

"Wha.. What are you doing tend him, heal him do shit. DON'T JUST STAND THERE!!!DO SOMETHING!!!!" - New

"I'm sorry sir" - Medic

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SORRY!!!" - New

I pulled the medic's hands to Earth's lifeless body that shook with the impact.

"Work!!!! DO SOMETHING!!! bri...bring him bring him back Earth you... You can't do this to me after saying that you... Nooo no no, please.. Anybody do something?!!!!!"- New

I was a sobbing mess, the juniors tried to calm me down.
I slumped next to Earth's body crying on his chest.

"Nooo don't leave me like this... Earth don't please I'm begging you.." - New

Things went by with a blur, now I am standing a few feet away hidden at a tree from Earth's memorial. Today he is going to get buried and I haven't shown my face to his family or his friends. The guilt that it should be me who had been there being buried instead of him ate me up.
It was raining I didn't care if I had been drenched. I haven't shown my face to the office as well.

I received multiple calls and messages asking for me.

I saw on the news that Non was dead and the victim's father. I had no one to blame for Earth's death instead of me. It was so unfair and I wallowed up in despair. I wish I had been the one dead instead.

Earth's last word didn't help at all, he was after all in love with me as I did with him. Pinning for the man for years now, I should've confessed. But now everything was too late. Too late to even regret it.

I saw his coffin being lowered to the ground, and the rain fell harder so does my tears that didn't stop.

My black coat was drenched, I had bags in my eyes, my cheek a bit sunken I was looking like death itself. I should've just died.

"Earth.. I love you.." - New

I whispered in between breaths.

I stayed there a couple more hours waiting for people to disperse.
When I felt like everybody was gone, I went straight to Earth's grave. Kneeling in front of it with a white rose in my hand, and placed it down his grave.

"Dumbass how could you leave so soon, saying those words after. I hate you." - New

My hand placed on his tombstone.

"You asshole you left me, it's the other way around not me leaving. Hear that it was you, not me *hick ... It was you *hick" - New

He'd always complain to me that I will leave him someday and get tired of being his friend. But I know I can't because I love him so much I already accepted that being his friend was all I could ever be.

"You jerk why... didn't you tell me sooner! You should've confessed. I hate you *hick .. I hate that I love you so much it hurts Earth.. *hick... How could you make me go through this alone..." - New
I was bawling my eyes out in front of his grave not minding the mud and rain.

Spending a long time wallowing in my pain, I stood up.

"Earth I don't know when I could visit again, I'm moving to California. Where I would always dream of staying. I will try to continue doing my profession there. You already know being a lawyer is the only thing I'm good at I think" - New

One last touch to his grave and New vanished without a trace. It was the last he was seen by no one but Earth's grave as a witness.

---------------------------------------------------------
A/N

Just to make the timelines clear

2018 - Thailand
2019 - California
2020 - 2022 - Canada