Nothing Familiar

"Ugh! I need boos!" Cana complained as she held her empty beer bottle upside down, hoping for just one more drop.

"Stop complaining. I wish to remember silence for five minutes." Rufus replied with annoyance.

"You and your memorizing things! Geez!" She rolled her eyes. "Besides, I doubt any of our friends are on this hellish mountain." She said groggily.

"You're the one that suggested it!" Rufus exclaimed in disbelief.

"Nah-ah." She staggered sideways. Rufus caught her before she fell off the ledge. He sighed.

"Get a grip. You sure are a handful." He said wearily.

"Handful of what." She hiccuped with flushed cheeks.

"Here, sit down. We'll rest until you're a little more sober." He pushed her down.

"Not so rough!" She glared at what she thought was Rufus but was really a bush. He shook his head back and forth with his hand on his hat.

"Of all the people." He sat down with his back against the ledge and pulled his hat over his eyes in hopes of rest. He sighed in relief after about two minutes of complete silence, but it was not to last. He felt something heavy sit against his shoulder, and he pulled his hat up in surprise to see a sleeping Cana resting her head on his shoulder.

"Oh my." He said as his heart sped up. "I have no memory of this." He looked up to the sky in realization that he wasn't going to get any sleep.

"Rufus! Rufus!" She yelled as she shook his shoulders. His eyes fluttered open, and he yawned as he stretched.

"How long have we been asleep?!" He stood up fast.

"I don't know! But we've got to get up this mountain! Someone's being attacked! Can't you hear them?!" She pointed up to the top of the mountain. He looked up to see the sight of black smoke from a fire, and he could faintly here screams of several people.

"Let's go." They ran up the mountain as fast as possible. At the top, there seemed to be straw huts ablaze, and tribal people with fur clothing and armor plates were running around trying to cut down disturbing winged creatures in the sky.

"Why do they have fur tails?" Cana whispered to a confused Rufus. He took in everything before him in memorization.

"Memorized." He whispered in a zoned out stupor. "More importantly," he looked over to Cana as he came back to the present, "we need to help these people." He pointed to the agitated men.

"Koga! They're too many!" A white haired man exclaimed, and a whirl of wind came barreling toward him. It dissipated right before the white haired man to reveal a man with a black ponytail and built physique.

"Nice." Cana nodded her head.

"No time for admiration! We have company!" He pointed up to one of the disturbing bird creatures diving toward them.

"I got this!" Cana pulled out three cards, but Rufus stepped in front of her.

"Let me handle it." He said.

"She huffed in annoyance. "Men." She shook her head.

"Memory-Make: Line of Ancient Master Swordsmen!" He exclaimed as a magic circle formed behind him, and three lance-wielding swordsmen made of ice appeared before him. On his command, they cut down half of the birds in the sky, and Koga and his men watched in disbelief. One came from behind in hopes of surprising Rufus, but Cana saw it coming and prepared a group of cards which floated in an arc above her head.