• t h i r t y s i x •

Third PoV

"Santino, I can guarantee you that I don't know anything. I'm not involved in the scheme to kidnap Elena or your brothers. I'm only here to help you find them," Matteo calmly explains, "you know that I could never hurt your sister."

"What about our brothers?" Giovanni angrily asks the therapist in the room. His oldest brother is looking at them, with an almost bored expression and his twin brother is pacing behind him, occasionally colliding his fist with the wall.

Neither of them took the news about the picture of their sister and the state she could be in well. Marcello chose to lash out at everyone and everything, desperately trying to do something - anything, really - to forget about the picture he forced Santino to show to him.

Giovanni, while being just as angry as his twin took the calmer approach about the situation. He's silently fuming on the inside but also realizes that it won't get him anywhere. All he can and should do right now is question the ones around him that could be involved in order to find his sister.

"I care about them too." Matteo sighs. A look at Santino lets him know that the past few hours? Days? - He doesn't know how long it's been - has allowed to much time to pass.

In his attempt to protect Elena and the brothers, he turned into the prime suspects for the people he wanted to keep safe without even noticing it.

And he wonders how he was able to miss this for so long. And also how the brothers reached the conclusion that he is after their sister. He doesn't remember ever doing something that would explain this but he also doesn't dare questions them.

Not when they are so set on their suspicion and believe that it has to be him. Even though everything he has seen as proof points in another direction. Far, far away from him.

"Liar." Marcello suddenly declares at his words. He stops his pacing and directly glares at Matteo.

"Marcello." Santino calmly says, pointing at the couch to signal the younger one to sit down.

"No. It's enough. Listening to you never did anything aside from causing issues. For you, me, the others and Elena. It started with you and it will end with you too."

"Marce, what the fuck are you talking about?" Giovanni exasperatedly asks. His incredulous expression is set on his twin brother and despite him being his twin, he suspects the absolute worst idea he has ever heard to come from him.

And he is right about it.

"Do you really believe that they want Elena? Or even Cedro or Ivano? They clearly don't care and all of them are just a way to get to Santino. So, let's offer Santino in exchange for Eleonora. Cedro and Ivano will get out on their own, they don't need any help. But Elena needs our help. She relies on us to find her and to protect her."

Silence takes over the room at his words. Everyone is looking at him and no one knows what to do.

Giovanni wants to laugh at the absurdity of Marcello's words but he knows that he is serious about his idea.

Santino is solemnly looking at him, thinking the plan through in his head. He's aware that whoever it is, is after him and all of his siblings are just a way to get to him. The moment one is missing, his entire focus will be on finding the sibling. Especially when it is the youngest.