Chapter 5

Will went home worried. But also kind of happy. He loved the time they spent together but he hated that he continued to betray Jane. Mike told him that he saw Lucas driving away. Will could only pray that Lucas wouldn't say anything.

He sat in his room with his stomach full of butterflies and guilt. The phone rang.

God he hoped it was Mike.

It was Max.

"H-hello?"

"OH MY GOD, WILL WHAT DID YOU DO?"

"Wait Max calm down, what are you talking about?"

"You know what I'm talking about. Please just stop with the bullshit Will. You're going to tell me the truth. Right. Now. How long has this been going on?"

Will was silent.

"Will. How. Long. Has. It. Been going on?"

"Only a week." Will answered her shakingly.

"God, Will. Max said quietly, sounding horrified. I can't believe you right now. I-I mean how could you do this to Jane? She's our friend, she's your friend!"

"DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT MAX? IT'S ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT! I KNOW THAT I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON , I KNOW THAT I DON'T DESERVE YOU GUYS, I KNOW I DON'T DESERVE TO BE LOVED, ALL I REALLY DESERVE IS TO JUST DIE. I MEAN AS LONG AS IT MAKES EVERYBODY'S LIFE BETTER RIGHT?"

Max went silent.

"Bye Max." Will hung up the phone.

Max was scared. She didn't know if Will meant it or not. It would be her fault, she thought. She killed her best friend.

Max quickly ran outside and jumped on her bike to Will's house. She didn't knock, the door was unlocked so she ran inside to Will's room. He wasn't there.

As Max held back tears, she heard a noise from the bathroom. She opened the door to see Will sitting on the floor, his face completely red with frustration and tears. He was a mess.

Max went down to the floor and hugged her friend.

"I'm sorry. He said through sobs. I'm so sorry."

"Shh. It's ok, you're fine, it's gonna be alright Will I promise ok? Max said this with her voice breaking from trying to keep a brave face for her friend. Ok Will?"

The two sat on the floor of the bathroom for an hour, completely unsure of where to go from there.

"A-are you gonna tell Jane?" Will said bluntly, breaking the hour-long silence.

"Of course not."

"Will Lucas?" Will asked while looking worried.

"We're not going to say anything Will. But you need to come clean. It's only right."

Will didn't say anything. He was afraid to speak now.

"Well, Max started, my mom's probably worried about me. I can call and tell her I'm staying somewhere if you don't wanna be alone?"

"No, it's fine. You can go." Will answered with a blank expression.

"Will, are you sure you're ok? I- I don't mind, I mean I can stay if you need me to."

"I'll be fine, Max." He said, trying to reassure her.

"I-I just don't want to lose you Will. She said, giving him one last big hug. You know if anything, I'm the one who doesn't deserve you right? You know that right? Please j- just don't do anything stupid." She said, tears in her eyes again.

"Max, I promise. I promise I'll be ok. I'm not going anywhere." He said with a faint smile.

"Good, Max said while getting up, Bye Will."

"Bye Max."

The next morning, Will felt different. He felt, ok? Almost confident. He knew he had to do something. He couldn't keep letting guilt eat him up from the inside. He picked up the phone and he called Mike who picked up almost immediately.

"H-hello? Will?" Mike said, sounding relieved.

"Yeah, Will sighed, it's me. We need to talk. Do you think you could come over? Like, now?"

"Ye- yeah, of course, I'll be right there."

Pretty soon Mike was knocking at Will's doorstep. "Hey." "Hey." Mike responded with a smile. Will motioned Mike inside and followed in after him. "S-so, Mike-", Will started. But Mike cut him off, grabbing his face, pulling him into a kiss. Will widened his eyes and pushed him off. "Mike, what are you doing?" He asked with his eyes still full. "Oh, I-I just thou- I mean I-" "Mike, we need to talk." Will emphasized. "Ok." Mike said bluntly. Mike followed Will into his room and sat on his bed as Will paced around frantically.

"Listen Mike, I really like you and I love spending time with you but-"

"But what?" Mike responded emotionlessly.

"But I just can't do it behind Jane's back." Will said while taking a seat next to Mike.

"Ok." Mike responded.

"W-what?" Will titled his head.

"Ok Will, I'll break up with her."

"I-I don't understand, don't you like her?" Will was really confused now.

"Will, don't you get it? I like you, not her."

"Oh." Will said while looking down at his shoes.

"Mhm.." Mike said, looking the opposite way.

Will rested his head on Mike, Mike hugged him. The hug turned into a kiss and Will brought Mike's body closer to his. Mike pushed Will onto the bed and got on top of him, not once breaking the kiss. "Thank you Mike."

Mike continued to kiss Will, putting his hand under Will's shirt, dragging it up and down his chest.

They suddenly heard a voice, calling from the front door.

"Will! Are you home?" It was Will's older brother, Jonathan.

"Shit shit shit" Will whisper-shouted. Mike jumped off of Will and sat up.

"He- I didn't know you had company." Jonathan said as he walked into Will's room.

"H-hi! Mike greeted, nervously. "Hey, Jonathan waved, I'll just leave you guys alone I guess." Jonathan said while backing out of the room and closing the door.

Mike let out a breath of relief as Will held on to him. They looked at each other and started laughing uncontrollably before laying down next to each other.

"Mike?" Will asked, still heavily breathing from laughter.

"Yeah?"

"If you didn't like Jane, why did you kiss her?" Will continued to ask, widening his eyes.

"I don't know. I-I guess I was-" Mike trailed off. "You were what?" Will asked, getting slightly impatient. "I guess I was trying to get your attention? Mike answered with a question. "I guess maybe to see if you'd like-" "Get jealous?" Will asked, cutting him off.

"I- I mean... did it work?" Mike asked with a half smile. Will laughed, "Michael Wheeler, you are completely insufferable, you know that right?"

Mike smiled. "Yeah Will, I know."

Oooo it's getting serious..