Chapter 34

THE NEXT WEEK

"Ok so there is a reason I wanted us all here." Will started to announce in front of his friends who were all in his living room.

Mike was on the couch next to Max while Lucas sat on the floor near Max's legs. Will stood in front of them all.

"Someone else is gonna be joining us pretty soon, a friend of Mike and I, and I just wanted to give you guys a fair warning beforehand."

"Wait what? Who? I didn't know you had friends Mike!" "Haha Max." Mike returned bitterly.

"Well you'll find out when she gets here-"

He was interrupted by a knock on the door. "Mike, go get that." Will said as more of a demand.

"But you're standing up!" Mike argued raising his hands in the air.

"Michael."

"Ugh." He groaned as he got up to the door.

"HAHA MIKE IS WILL'S BITCH!" Max broke into an uncontrollable laughter. "HE'S GETTING BOSSED AROUND BY WILL BYERS!" She was panting at this point, kicking her legs up and down nearly hitting Lucas.

Mike silently flipped her off as he opened the door. "Oh, hey. Come in." He waved.

"What the fuck. Jane?" Max was the first to say. "Oh um hey Max. Hi Lucas." Jane greeted awkwardly.

"Uh, Will? What's going on?"

"I invited Jane to hang out with us. We're cool now."

"Oh. Well we didn't know that." Max said blankly and at a loss of words which was rare for her.

"Wait so where have you been this whole time?" "Oh uh long story short, with my bio mom."

"Oh cool." "Yep." The air seemed to be getting thicker.

"Wait wait wait. Back track a minute." Lucas said as he waved his hands in the air. "Bio mom? Jane you're adopted?" His eyes widened.

"What the hell Lucas!?" Max kicked her boyfriend. "Catch up! How didn't you know this?"

"Wait so the chief isn't- Wait so. Hold on a minute." He was trying to wrap his head around this new information while the others laughed at him. "Ok so, the chief right? Jim Hopper yeah? He adopted you?"

"Uh... yeah?" Jane replied. "When I was like four."

"Holy shit! How didn't I know this?"

"I don't know!" Jane giggled. "All I know is that I missed this. I missed you guys. I'm sorry for the way I acted."

"Oh please Jane, forget about it. I'm just glad to have one of my bestest friends back! Come here." Max got out of her seat and pulled Jane into a long hug.

...

"So where did you guys decide for school?" Lucas asked, shoving a slice of the pizza they ordered into his mouth.

"Ugh what is with you and college Lucas?" Max groaned as she wrapped an arm around her boyfriend's neck. "Hey it's not a bad thing that I want a good future for us all!" He threw his arms up in the air.

"Ok well we'll go first." Will started. "So Mike and I have applied to a few different schools. Some of them are kinda prestigious or whatever, but Mike says he thinks I could get a scholarship."

"And what about you Mike? No scholarship?"

"Uhm... money?"