I don't want to fall in love with you

Lance, Nadia and Ryan were talking by the MFES when Keith came storming in the hangar, James following. Even though they're almost all the way across the room, with the acoustics in the hangar, they can hear every word of their conversation. "Keith, can you at least talk to me?" James asks.

"Fuck off Griffin." James frowns and grabs Keith's upper arm, stopping him and turning Keith towards him.
"Look, I know I'm the last person in the universe that you wanted as a soulmate, but you're stuck with me." James said.
"I don't want to marry you. I don't want to date you. Hell, I don't even want to be friends with you. Why can't you just fuck off already?" Keith growled.
"Can you at least try?" James pleaded. "For once? You've been avoiding me for months."
"Leave me alone Griffin. I don't want to be anywhere near you." He said, starting to turn away. But James pulled him back.
"Look, you're stuck with me. And if we're apart for too long, it's going to physically start hurting both of us." "What part of 'stay away from me' don't you understand?" Keith asked, eyes narrowing. "Can you at least try? Just once?"
"Are you trying?" Keith shot.

"I've been trying. For eight months! But you keep avoiding me! You didn't even tell me you knew we were soulmates until 3 months ago!" James complains.
"In my defense, I didn't and still don't want you!" Keith snaps.
"What about me? Did you ever think maybe I'd like to know? That maybe I'd want to be with you?" James asks.
Keith scoffs. "Yeah, because you had too. I don't want your pity Griffin." Keith spits. "I know you gave it to me back during our Garrison days, I certainly don't want it now."
James laughs shakily. "Did you ever think that maybe I wanted to know you? That I was interested in the quiet kid in the back? Who was amazing at everything and didn't even have to try? Who seemed cool? I wanted to know you. To be your friend."

"Yeah, after you insulted me for being an orphan." Keith scoffs. "We both know I didn't know about that until after you decked me. But you were such a brat that year, acting like you were above everything and everyone. Unlike you Keith, some of us had to try to succeed in class. We weren't naturals. When you disappeared, I panicked. I was actually worried. You may have been an ass, but I thought of you as a friend."
"You think a few conversations in class made us friends?" Keith asks.
"Yes. You didn't talk to anyone else. When you came back, I was shocked. The quiet loner in the back of class had a family of his own making, and was the most beautiful person I'd ever seen. Then I find out, after he's been back for a year and my dumbass has gotten a crush on him, that he's my soulmate. But he wants nothing to do with me. He hates me. And I end up falling in love with him. Every time I think I'm getting past the 'I hate you' stage, you do or say something that makes it painfully obvious I haven't."

Keith laughs. "Take a hint Griffin. I DO hate you. I don't want to be your soulmate. But I'm stuck with you. Don't think we'll ever be anything more than what we are now."
James sighs. "I know that. You've made it painfully obvious. But don't I at least deserve a chance? You made up your mind about me before you ever knew me." Keith crosses his arms. "What do you mean by 'a chance'?"

James took his hand. "Let me take you out on a date. Or go for a ride on the hover bikes with me. Tell me about you. Let me know you. Let me love you. Stop treating me like I'm just another thing you have to deal with. Or tell me what you want me to do. I want to know you Keith. I know there's more to you than the amazing and beautiful hero that the world sees."

Keith snatched his hand away. "You know what I want you to do? Be someone else. Be anyone but you. Stop trying to get close to me. Stop acting like you care."
"I'm not acting!" James cries. "Why can't you believe that I actually care about you? That I want to see you be happy."
Keith glared at him. "If you want me to be happy, then leave me alone."

Tears are welling in the corners of James's eyes. "Why do you hate me so much?" He asks, voice breaking.

"You're you. What other reason do I need?" He turns away from James and heads into his ship, a sleek black and red fighter.