Day 6 Fate/Choice

James was always there. So was Keith. Whether it be side by side, or in the other's mind.

He was always there. Next to him in elementary school. In front of him in middle. Across the hall in the Garrison.

Right behind him in skill, Keith being just a little bit better at everything.

He was there when he got the whole class in trouble, and he was there when Keith decked that kid. Who was James.

He was there when the Kerberos mission left, and he was there when they announced the crew as dead He even offered him a shoulder to cry on, and apologized for saying the things he did.

He was there when Keith decked Iverson, and when he got expelled.

He was even there at the house in the dessert. He'd taken a Garrison hover bike and ridden all the way through the dessert to find him, and make sure he was okay. To make sure he had food, and water. That he slept.

And even though Keith didn't see it, he knew that James was there when they left in the Blue lion. He was there in his house, frantically calling his name.

He was at the Garrison when they all but ignored Keith's disapperance, and announced him and the others as dead.

He was also in Keith's mind. 

When they were in the Castle for the first time, he had looked around in awe, silently wondering what James would think of it all. Then he remembered that he wasn't there, and he started to get a hollow ache in his chest, which only grew as time went on.

He thought of him when they fought Zarkon, how James would be able to keep him calm.

When he had nightmares when Shiro disappeared, how James used to hold him until he fell asleep.

When he found his mother, thinking how excited and happy James would be to know that she was alive.

When they fought Lotor and disappeared for years, he wondered what had happened to James. Was he okay? Was Earth okay?

Meanwhile, James thought the same.

He thought of Keith almost every day, and tried to ignore the dull pain in his chest.

When they were in the sims, and he finally beat Keith's high score, he wondered what he'd say. 

Whenever he left his room, he tried not to look at Keith's door, because he knew that he wasn't there.

When Mr.Holt came back, because if he was alive, maybe Keith was too.

When they saw the messages, and he caught a brief glimpse of Keith in Lance's. He wondered if he still looked the same. If he still got that shit eating grin on his face when ever he did something cool.

When the Galra attacked, he wondered if he'd ever get to see Keith again. If he'd die in that fight, thinking of Keith's smile.

When Veronica died, he wondered if the same thing had happened to Keith. If when Voltron disappeared, they had died.

When they found Veronica and her family, along with the rebels. If Keith was alive too, with that stupid grin and too long hair.

When the not Galra UFO crashed, if Keith was in there. along with the others. Would he even recognize him?

When they shot down those drones, and he saw the boy in the red armor. Keith. With the look of shock on his face, which quickly turned into a small smile.

On the ride back, both of them sat quietly, perfectly content with the fact that the other was there, and he was safe.

When they reached the Garrison, and they finally rid themselves of their helmets. They shared a longing look, before James walked away, with the silent message of "come with me."

In all of the briefings, they shared quick looks, in the halls they shared quick touches, a hand grazing the others or resting on their shoulder. Purely meant to be for comfort, like they had once done.

When Keith fell from the sky in his lion, he thought of James. He'd be scolding him for it later, saying he was being stupid and reckless, while (hopefully) holding him in his arms.

When James saw Keith fall, he immediatley filled with panic. He rushed to him, and carefully extracted him from the lion.

When Keith was in his coma, he'd think of James a lot, imagining what his life would've been like if James had gone into space with them.

James visited him a lot, making sure that he was okay. He'd talk to Keith, telling him about the other paladins, the MFES, Shiro and Adam. He met his mother, Krolia, along with Kolivan, the Blade's leader.

James was there shortly after Keith awoke, let in by Krolia with a knowing smile. The two boys had embraced, grateful that they were both alive. James continued to visit Keith during his time at the hospital, talking with him and Krolia, and bringing treats and toys for Kosmo.

On the day before the ATLAS take off, they'd raced their hover bikes through the dessert, stopping at Keith's house, which had not been destroyed.

They went their seperate ways, and while Keith stared at the sunset from atop his lion, he thought of James. Of his smile, his laugh. How happy he had looked to see him after all these years.

Little did he know, James was doing the same, but from his MFE. About how Keith's eyes still sparkled in the sun, and shone brightly.

At that moment they both realized, they loved the other.

And as their time together went on, they realized just how much.

At clear day, James won a Black lion plush, which he gave to a pink faced Keith, who took it bashfully. Together they walked the fair grounds, just happy to be near one another.

And after they defeated Honerva, the two boys saw much more of each other.

The MFES and paladins hung out more often, growing closer. Going drinking occasionally, and having movie nights. Talking about what they'd do now that the war was over.

Both desperately wanted to ask the other out, but they were too afraid. Before they were lovers, they were friends. They didn't want to risk it.

But one day, James finally got the courage to ask Keith out, and so their love started.

Now, they were always there for each other, in body and mind. To hold the others hand, to calm them when they cried. 

They vowed never to be apart, and fate made it so.

Fate had been pushing the boys together for years, making it clear that they were destined for each other. To be together.

Fate determined that all of their actions, all of their deeds would lead to one thing. 

The other.

And that they would always love each other.