Chapter 2

Eddie looked into the glowing red gate and got on his knees. He stuck his hand into it, and felt an excruciating pain within his wrist. He quickly pulled it out, and noticed his hand was disintegrating. He screamed a little, but noticed his skin began to form back as soon as he pulled it out. He tried again with his left hand's finger, and pulled it back out. It only burnt when it went through to Hawkins.
He began panicking, because he knew he would die if he tried to go back. He was stuck there. Forever.

A few weeks later

Steve walked into the lake, slightly overwhelmed by the noises and hollers of the partygoers. A big inflatable ball shot his way and landed, splashing just in front of him. "Pass it!" A girl shouted. He sighed, but threw it back. He began to swim farther out, and just relaxed. He let his body go with the lake's directions.
He lay undisturbed along the water's currents and exhaled. He felt a strong tingle along his foot, and looked down at it. It was a vine, from the gate that should have closed up weeks ago. Steve gasped, but soon gathered air as he was pulled underwater and to the surface of the lake. He fell, while also ascended above the gate, and and fell back down, back in The Upside Down. He growled and dusted off his trunks. He stood up and looked around.
He noticed there was no sign of life around besides the abnormal stench of blood, and stains all over the surface of the land. He cringed. He heard a growl in the woods and an anguished squeak following.
Steve slowly walked towards the sounds, and heard a laugh. He was startled there was someone there. He ran in there to try to help them, completely disregarding the fact he was only in swim trunks.
Eddie heard the running of Steve, and quickly hid in the trees, waiting for his next prey to pass him by.
Steve ran, swatting every overgrown plant he faced. He was stopped at a dead creature, the one Eddie was eating. Steve looked long and hard at it to figure out what it possibly could've been, before he heard a roar above him. He looked up, frightened by the sight of something pouncing onto him from above.
Steve fell to the ground under Eddie, trying to catch his breath. Eddie licked his lips and growled. His slit pupils became wide as he made a mistaken face. "S-Steve?" Eddie asked. Steve slowly opened his eyes from a frightened squint to see a pale Eddie on top of him.
"Eddie?" He said with a smile. Eddie stood up, and let out his hand. Steve took it, and got up. "Wow." Eddie said. He took off his jacket and threw it at Steve. "How come I'm always having to give you my jackets, man?" Eddie said with a toothy smile. Or a 'fangy' smile if you will. "Ha. I don't know." Steve said, chittering his teeth. As soon as Steve got on Eddie's leather jacket, he ran to hug him. Eddie strained at how tight it was. He could tell Steve missed him.
Eddie chuckled and hugged him back. "I thought you were dead.." Steve said. He let go of Eddie and sighed. "Are you crying?" Eddie asked, as he grabbed a hold of Steve's face. He was trying not to laugh, but he was a hypocrite. He almost cried too.
"No." He said as he sniffled. Eddie laughed. "Sure." Eddie said. They stared at each other for a while, Steve's chin still in Eddie's hand. Eddie let go of him and cleared his throat. "So.. what happened to you?" Steve asked, trying his hardest not to be rude. "Uh.. I'm not too sure. I have fangs, and uh.. I don't really know to be honest." Eddie said.
"Oh yeah. I drink blood now." Steve raised his eyebrows greatly, not expecting what Eddie had said.
"Well, ok. That explains it." Steve nervously laughed trying to forget what he said. "Why haven't you come back?" Steve asked. Eddie paused. "Well, that doesn't matter." Eddie walked off past Steve. Steve turned around facing Eddie's back wondering how 'that didn't matter', but decided to follow him anyway.
"I want to tell the others." Steve said to Eddie. He turned his head, and smiled. Steve smiled back. Eddie was masking his real thoughts with a smile, because he'd have to explain why he couldn't go back at some point.
Eddie walked into his trailer and sat down. Steve hung his arm by his doorframe. Eddie grabbed a cigarette and lit it, putting it in his mouth.
"So how long have you been back? From.. the dead?" Steve asked. Eddie took the cigarette out of his mouth and exhaled, releasing smoke. "Umm, maybe like-.. 3 weeks now?" He said. "Oh. Wow." Steve replied. Eddie got up and rested his cigarette on his tray, and strung a note on his guitar. "Wanna know why I have this still hooked up?" Eddie asked with a grin. "Sure." Steve said. "One of 'em lived. Watch." Eddie whispered. A bat came soaring into Eddie's trailer. Steve yelped as Eddie caught the bat perching on his arm. "Cool, huh? I'm like a whisperer." Steve looked at the bat, then looked back at him. "C-Cool.. I guess." Steve nervously laughed.
"I think I'm going to go tell the others." Steve headed his way to the door but Eddie stopped him. He put his hand on his shoulder. "Hmm?" Steve asked, assuming he was going to ask a question. "Just tell me, how are the kids?" Eddie asked. Steve smiled. "They're holding up pretty good. They're all pretty shaken up since you and Max, well, you know." "Max?!" Eddie exclaimed. "Oh! I forgot.. you don't know.. do you?" Steve asked.
"I don't know what..?" Eddie asked sorrowfully. "Max.. she's.. She's gone." Steve said. "They're not getting any brain activity. El didn't see anything when she went in her mind. We don't think she'll last much longer, Eddie."
Eddie sighed and hung his head. "I'll be back. Just stay right here." Steve said. "I'm not going anywhere." Eddie replied.