13

----------------------------
6 YEARS EARLIER
---------------------------

Fragments of sunlight leaked into my bedroom through the sheer curtains. I rubbed my eyes, forcing them to open wide enough to read the clock on my bedside table.

12:03 PM

I sat up, stretching my arms above my head. It wasn't unusual for me to sleep in on Friday's, I had no University classes.

After a few minutes of mentally preparing myself for the day, I finally forced myself out of bed. I took a shower and brushed my teeth before heading to the kitchen to make myself a late breakfast. When I opened the refrigerator door, my eyes immediately spotted the lunch I had prepared for my dad the night before.

I sighed, taking the lunchbox out of the refrigerator. Knowing him, he won't order a lunch and end up working through his break.

After packing the lunchbox inside my bag, I left home to drop it off at his office.

"Hi honey, did something happen?"

My dad asked right away when I entered his office.

I shook my head, lifting the lunchbox up for him to see.

"You forgot your lunch," I told him.

He smiled and motioned for me to sit at the empty chair across from him.

"Have you eaten?" He asked while opening the  cold noodle dish I prepared for him.

"I actually have lunch plans with some of my new university friends," I lied.

Truthfully, school had started over a month ago and I still had not made any new friends. My dad already worried that bringing me to Beijing was a mistake. He voiced his concern after I chose to stay at home and attend a local university instead of living on campus. I didn't want to give him more reasons to worry by telling him that I was having trouble making friends so instead I lied.

He took out his wallet and handed me money.

"No Appa, it's okay," I tried to reject the money he gave me.

He smiled and opened my hand with his, "My princess deserves to buy herself whatever she wants."

I forced a smile, leaving a small kiss on my Dad's cheek.

"Love you Appa."

He chuckled and waved me off.

"You kids have fun."

Once I was out of view from his office I let out a sigh and frowned. I dragged my feet to the elevator when a familiar face caught my attention.

It was Shao Ming.

I peered through the clear glass walls of the conference room and noticed that he was sitting all alone. But what was he doing on this floor? His father's office was on the top floor of the building.

My curiosity got the best of me and I found myself entering the dimly lit conference room. I told myself it was only to say hi. I hadn't seen him since our last tutoring session over a month ago after all. But when the moment came, I froze, my eyes falling to his bruised cheek.