Chapter 8

(Nathan's POV)

I walk through the doors, quickly being greeted by the stares and whispers of all the students gathered to watch the duel. None of them cared that I could hear every word.

"So that's Nathan?"

"He's the one who Arlo challenged to a rank battle."

"Who do you think will win?"

"Arlo duh."

"I don't know, there's a rumor going around that he can stop someone from using their ability."

"No wonder he beat Zeke."

"True, but he still has to worry about Arlo's passive."

"Geez, does no one here know how to mind their own business?" I say to myself as I walk toward Arlo. He's standing in the middle of the field.

"You're late," Arlo remarks.

"I had some personal matter to attend to. I hope 'your majesty' can forgive me."

Arlo snarled. "Whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm still going to defeat you." Arlo walks into position.

"In your dreams Arlo, in your dreams." I do the same. I look around myself, almost the entire school is here. Most of the mid and elite tiers are on the field. The low-tiers and some of the teachers are watching from the windows of the school. 

I see Roland, Evie, and Dylan watching me. Dylan actually kept his promise and was holding his phone up. I smile, then the smile disappears when I spot John just a few floors down. "What the0 fuck John, just wait till this is over."

Looking into the crowd that has gathered here, I see some royals and other high-tiers. Blyke, Isen, and Remi watching in the front line. The bitch Elaine standing next to them, just in case the fight gets messy. Cecile, the head of the press team and former Jack was also watching. 

"When was the last time Arlo had this many people watching his rank battles."

"I don't think Arlo ever had this many people, not even when he first became king."

"I mean, the new kid says he can beat anyone who challenges him. That's so BS."

"But he did beat Zeke, probably why so many people are watching this. To see if he can beat Arlo."

I look into the crowd, Zeke catching my eye. I can tell he's getting annoyed every time his loss is mentioned. The only royal missing from the field is the Queen herself, Seraphina. Oh well.

Keene stood between us. "On the count of three, you may begin."

"One."

"Two."

"Three." 

You know, most people would expect the battle to start immediately, to have flashy powers, and cool moves, but not this one. Nathan did what Nathan does best, nothing. As soon as Keene said three, Nathan sat down on the field and stared at Arlo, dead in the eyes

(Arlo's POV)

"What the hell is he doing?" I thought. Then a smile flashed across my face. "Don't tell me he has a specific range too. This is going to be easier than I thought."