Chapter 16

(John's POV, Several Hours Earlier)

I quickly walk back from school. It's unusually hot today so I try to make it back as soon as possible. (It is actually very hot where I live in real life. Like is going to be above 105 f, 40 c, for the whole week and longer.) I make a turn onto my street and walk up to the door. I was about to open it when I realized that it was already open. "Is Nat trying to get back at me for the prank I pulled? And I thought he was talking to Seraphina. Did he get home already?"

I open the door and walk inside. Even though it was late afternoon, it was considerably dark, way too dark for this time of day. "Did Nat close the blinds?" I ask myself as I take notice of the closed window blinds. It's so quiet that I start to realize how Nat must have felt when I pranked him. "Okay, haha Nat. Enjoy your quick little laugh. Now I know how you felt. You can come out now."

Nat doesn't answer. I feel like activating my ability but a picture of my past self and Keon flashes into my mind. "Nevermind" I keep the glow from forming in my eyes as I wander around the house. I turn the lights on and explore the house, looking into all the rooms. I was just about to quit looking for him when something caught the corner of my eyes.

I walk over to the item I spotted on the ground. I look at it closely. "Is this... hair?" I ask myself as I stare at several strands of black and white hair. I took my phone from my pocket and was about to call Nat. Then I felt something kick the back of my hand, making me drop the phone.

I jump back as another kick is sent at me. I stare at the attacker. She's a girl with black and white hair, and black eyes, and looks to be around my age. I send a punch to her face, a hit she dodges easily. 

"K, this person knows how to fight." I think to myself as I try to get some space between us. "Who the hell are you?!" I shout at her.

The girl smiles. "I'm a friend of your brothers. Have you seen him around, I need to ask him a few things."

"She knows my brother?" I ask myself before answering her. "I don't think you're a friend of Nat's if you start by attacking his brother." 

She smiles and starts laughing maniacally. "You're the brother?" She laughs in disbelief. "You're John? I kinda expected more from you not gonna lie. Especially since Nat talked about you so much."

I wince. "How do you know my name? How do you know Nat?" 

"Poor John, always being betrayed." She sighs. "I know a lot of things, especially things your brother has hidden from you." She starts to walk toward me. I back off.

"I need to find a way to get my phone." I think to myself. "I need to stall."

"Stop talking about Nat that way!" I shout at her as I inch around in a circle, trying to get to my phone. "Nat was a good brother."

"And I was a good sister, but your brother never saw it that way."

"Sister?" I asked, finally getting to the point where my phone is right behind me. 

"Aw, man." She whined. "He never told you? Another person who lied to you am I right?" The girl then jumped towards me, pushing me to the ground. I take the chance to grab my phone and hide it behind my back.

"You know nothing!" I spit in her face.

"I told you I know everything." She rolls her eyes. "I also know about the phone you grabbed and are now hiding behind your back."

I punch her in the face, getting some room to move and letting me squirm free. I run towards the bathroom and lock the door behind me. I quickly send a frantic text message to Nat.