Chapter 18

(John's POV)

I had only left Nat for a few seconds before I run into the four chasing after us. All of them have their abilities active. I duck behind a corner and sense their auras. I already have Damian's so I take the time the learn more about what it can do. I feel Michael's ability, it's pretty strong, stronger than Arlo's ability. Thankfully it doesn't take long to learn. He's only a 6.8.

As I keep sensing for their abilities, I finally catch on to Iris'. Her level is the same as mine, a seven. I look at all the abilities and sub-abilities her ability has. In the short time I have, I can't learn how to use her void world so just passive will have to do.

Just before I manage to copy Iris' ability, my eyes widen. The fourth member of the group, Diana I think that was her name, her ability level is 7.5. "A 7.5! She's more powerful than me. What kind of people did Nat meet?!" I try to copy her ability but higher-level abilities are hard to copy. I need a long period of exposure to her aura before I can copy it. "Shit."

I glance at the group, all of them still looking for us. "Whatever, I can still fight them with 3 abilities, but I should have copied Nat's ability before I left. Oh well, I can't go back now." I use Damian's ability and spread a sheet of ice across the floor. The ice soon reaches their feet and traps them in place. Since Damian's ability is 6.4, my amplification just made it so much more powerful.

They all share a face of shock as they find that their feet can't move. "Okay, so far so good." I charge up the heat in both hands, lighting them both on fire. I release the fire and throw it at Michael and Iris. Sadly, both of them dodged. Michael brings his hands down on the ice, breaking himself out while Iris vanished into her void.

Damian lights his right hand of fire and throws a ball of heat at me. He uses his left hand to melt the ice around his feet. I jump back away from the ice. Three of them are free and it won't take long for Diana to get out. I have to end this now. I close my eyes and focus. I haven't needed to combine high-level abilities like this in a long time so this might take a while.

I feel a heat of fire shooting at my face. I jump up and bring my hands to the ground, covering them with a fresh sheet of ice. All of them get trapped in ice again. Diana's back is facing me which is good considering I know her ability has something to do with sight, similar to Nat's.

I squeeze my eyes tighter and focus on Michael and Damian's aura. Both are unique in style and power but I should still be able to make this work. After a second, hundreds of small shards of ice appear in the air, all of them aimed at the four trapped on the ground. I release.

All shards of ice fire upon the targets. Some meet the stone wall and break, others meet flesh and draw blood. Then Michael's ability starts to kick in, disintegrating anything the ice came in contact with. Screams of pain and shouts of agony fill the room. Seeing red, I start to smile. I never mean to kill, only to hurt, too...

                                                                                         ̵̢̹̎̈́̈́̾̒̄̀̔̕͠b̵̡̨͓̟̽̽̋͗̉r̷̳͙̠̖̹̅͘ͅe̸̩̞̝̮̮̻̖̋̌a̶̢̩͎͑̍̐̊͋̅̒̚̕k̴̖͕͖̰͗̉͊̽͂̒̿̒

Then pain. The worst pain I've ever felt in my life. It was worse than all the punches and hits I've received and it was worse than Clair's betrayal of my time in the readjustment classes. This pain hurts both physically and mentally.

I grab my head in pain, and falling to my knees I scream. I feel a hand on my face. It's Diana. I see her speaking but I can't hear a word. Her words are drowned out by the screams escaping my lips. After what seems like an eternity, the pain subsides and I let myself breathe a sigh of short-lived relief.