Chapter 17

(Nathan's POV)

I stare at the boy who had just saved my life, my brother. Relief flooded my veins as I now knew had a chance to win. But relief wasn't the only thing I felt, I felt fear. Fear that I would still lose, fear that someone would hurt my brother, fear that he might find out, that I might lose him. It's ironic that I give my brother so much advice when it comes to his problems but even though our stories are similar, I can't bring myself to follow my own advice. No matter what may be happening around me, my brother's voice was the only one that was able to pull me out of my thoughts.

"Stay the fuck away from my brother!" John snarled again. He ran towards me, unknowingly right in front of the greatest danger.

"I thought I told you to tie him up!" Michael yelled at Iris.

"I did, I just-" Iris tried reasoning but Diana cut her off.

"It does not matter!" She yelled at both of them, her eyes starting to burn with deep violet light. Even though I could not see him, I felt John stagger. 

"No!" I re-activated my original ability, closing Diana's channels before she could do any lasting damage.

I felt a hand grab my shoulder and pull me up and out of the ice. The pain was extreme as I felt bone and skin ripping as I was pulled from the ice. Still, I kept myself from using my regen. Now that John was here, he would constantly be a target. I had to make sure I protected him, I had to keep him safe.

The hand that freed me from the ice began to drag me out of the room. Together, John and I ran throughout the building, trying to find a place to hide. Diana, Michael, Damian, and Iris ran after us but thanks to them not being able to use their abilities, John was able to keep them away with Damian's fire.

As we ran through the building, I felt myself losing blood from all the cuts and gashes on my skin. All the fractured and broken bones in my body grinded against each other, but I knew I couldn't activate my regen. I had to make sure that there was no chance of the others getting their abilities back, and I couldn't let John see.

Once we found a safe corner in the abandoned building we were in, we finally came to a stop. It was then John managed to get a gook look at me.

"Are you alright, Nat?" John asked me. Hi's eyes glanced nervously over all the wounds on my body, assessing how bad the damage was.

A smile slowly forms on my face. I sigh, "I'm okay John. I know I don't look like it but at least I'm alive."

John let out a small sigh of relief before a look of pure anger raged across his face. "I swear that I will make their lives a living hell for what they did to you." John snarled, his golden eyes dripping with aura.

"John, don't risk your life for me." I smiled while I placed a hand on his shoulder. "You have so much to live for. Don't let something in my past ruin your future."

A shadow passed over his face, and I immediately knew why. He knew... or... he knew something. Iris must have told him. She is the only one who would have done that. We pause in silence. I know what I have to say but I don't know if it's what John wants to hear.

"John I-"

"It's fine Nat. You can tell me later. We have something else to deal with."

My brain snapped back to reality. We weren't at home where we could be discussing this topic. We were at an abandoned building that we had been taken to with four very powerful and very angry people hunting us down with the intention to kill.

"Okay, I tell you later. We just have to do something first." I say, the sound of yelling and running footsteps getting louder by the minute.

John stands and starts walking in the other direction. I try to follow him but my body won't listen to me. I remember all the cuts, wounds, and broken bones I have. "I can't fight like this. I'll have to-"

"Nat!" John reaches out for me as I start to fall forward. He looks me up and down. "You need medical attention now."

"True, but I can't have medical attention until we get out of this." I start to stand. "We need to-" I fall as I feel my bones breaking.

"You are not fighting anyone about your condition. Just let me do it. You know I'm capable of." John smiles at me.

"But even you said it yourself. What you re-see and experience when you activate your ability."

"It does not matter, I have to fight for you. And the best part is that I don't have to hold back. It doesn't matter if I lose control because they all deserve it. Let me fight for you Nat, trust me." John smiled. He got up from where we were crouched and started to walk in the direction of Diana's group.

"John! John wait!" I shout at him. John just smiles at me.

"Trust me, Nat!" He runs out of view, leaving me by myself.

"What do I do?" I panic. "John's only a 7." I try to think of the best outcome. "John is able to copy Damian and he should be able to copy Michael. At best, he should also be able to copy Iris' ability since she is also a 7. But Dianas the problem. Her level is higher than John's and is the most powerful and deadly of the group. Sure, just because her level is higher doesn't mean that John won't be able to use it but since it is of a higher level, he will have a harder time mastering it. And I am the only one who can fight her." 

I activate my regen and start healing myself. "Screw it, I have to help him." Even though I haven't fully healed, I run after him.

lol

                                    -Ban