Chapter 3 : The Reclaiming of Zara Morningstar

"The course of true love never did run smooth." 

- William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

DEREK'S POV

She had come back as though she'd merely stepped out for a moment, not vanished from my life for nearly a decade, taking with her pieces of my heart and soul. I'd counted every second—9 years, 232 days, 10 hours, 2 minutes, and 57 seconds, to be exact. My obsession with Zara Morningstar was far from healthy, but I didn't care. I wasn't a good man by any standard, but for her, I would willingly drown in my darkest sins.

It sounds  cliché, but she was the only one who could make me lose control, the only one I'd do anything for, the only one before whom I'd kneel.

The first time I have laid eyes on her, she was 18 and I was 22, the exact number of years I had resided on earth  .

Months later, when I started to see my best friend's daughter as more than just that, I lost it. 

I tried to suppress my feelings, convincing myself it was merely the thrill of the forbidden that intrigued me.

I should've been selfish, stopped worrying about Lucifer's reaction, stopped telling myself he'd hate me for crossing that line. But would he have done the same? Would he have sacrificed his desires for the sake of friendship? Absolutely not. He'd take what he wanted, without a second thought for anyone else

And that's what I decided to do. Zara was the forbidden fruit I was ready to risk everything for. She was mine, even if she didn't know it yet.

My friend Carter ;looked at me  with his eyebrow raised in judgment, he couldn't understand my fury. "Are you seriously mad because the woman you like and have never been with romantically has been fucking other people during her years away?"

"No, I'm mad because the woman I love and who I have unfortunately never been romantically involved with has been fucking other people during her years away . Get your shit straight, man ".

"Well, I can't get my shit straight, I'm gay"

"No shit" I roll my eyes

"You're ridiculous, you couldn't seriously expect her to stay untouched and miserable all this time. Poor thing she wasn't going to stay with dust and cobwebs in her pussy".

"Yeah, why not? "

"You've fucked a lot of women in the last few years,getting your dick wet everytime you wanted. She had the right to do the same, you're hypocrite Derek, that's not fair" he shakes his head

His reasoning that Zara had every right to seek companionship just as I had didn't sit well with me. The thought of anyone else touching her, being with her, was unbearable.

"You're crazy, there are billions of women in the world and you decide to break your head for her"

"There are billions of women in the world but not billions of Zara Morningstar, there is only one and she is the only one worth breaking my head for" I  told him, unable to hide the raw need in my voice.

"If you love her so much why did you never pursue her ? "

He questioned why I'd never pursued her, and I admitted my mistake—my belief that stepping back was the right thing to do. But no more. I wouldn't let her slip through my fingers again.

"Men are so stupid I swear " he shakes his head

"You are a man" I frown

"Oh I meant straight men are stupid".

" At least I have not been 5'11 for 7 whole centuries not growing an inch. " I scoff and he gasps in an exaggerated way...

Dramatic ass.

"Umm... well at least I got balls bigger than you and I pursued the man I wanted all along and now look" he shows me his hand, flexing the wedding ring on his finger "happily married and having my back broken like a glow stick every night. You're 6'6 but no Zara to go home to so try to roast me when you finally put a ring on her finger"

He did me dirty

°°°°

"Where is Zara?"

"Hello to you too" Lucifer scoffs

"She's not here, where is she?"

"In the club"

"What's she doing there? "

"Things we do in a club, are you done asking dumb questions?"

"Is she at our club? "

"No my grandfather's"

"I'm going to look for her"

"Why? She's just having fun"

"I don't want her in some asshole's bed tonight"

"Why not?" Lucifer's smirk was infuriating

Why the fuck is he smirking? I just talked about her being in some dumb fuck's bed.

"Because she's mine"

"Finally! I thought you would never admit it"

"What? You knew that..."

"Of course, the devil knows everything"

"Aren't you mad ?"

"No, why would I be?"

"Because she's your daughter and you don't want me to break her heart and all that shit"

"Tsk I'm not worried about that, I know that if you break her heart she'd make sure to break your dick and not in a pleasant way"

"It grows back anyway but how did you know I was interested in her?"

"I knew the day you offered to help me torture her worthless mother and stepfather for all the hell they put her through and your behavior towards Christopher gave it away"

"I was normal with him, I liked him"

"You liked him? You were that guy's number one hater"

"No that's not true-"

"Weren't you the one who criticized him because you were convinced that the only position he knew was missionary and that when he came, his moans were probably higher than Mariah Carey's notes?" he laughs

"I may not have been a fan of his but -"

"But nothing" he cuts me off again "When he died I'm sure you were giggling, kicking your feet and shit"

How the fuck does he know that? Did he put cameras in my brain or something?

"Do you think she'll be able to love me like she loved Christopher?"

"No." he deadpans

Thanks dude...

"What?"

"What she felt for him was probably what she thought was love but wasn't, if something happens between you two she won't think she loves you, she'll know she loves you"

"Don't you think she loved him?"

"No, at least not how lovers should love each other. She must have liked the way he made her feel, that feeling of being loved, his appreciation for her, his cherishing must have played a part in it. When you look at her , you have eyes full of fire burning with passion that could burn anyone alive except her because you'd rather die before letting her get hurt and that's something I couldn't see when she looked at him "

"So I have a chance? "

"You know you have one , you already consider her yours, don't you? "

"Because she is and it won't be otherwise"

" Then you have your answer, Derek"