Chapter 4 : Forgotten Nights , Zara and Derek's Turmoil

"For all the happiness you wish for someone, for every single dream you dream for them, there is a price to pay in your own heart."

 - Haruki Murakami

ZARA'S POV

A hand cradled the back of my neck, its owner's lips pressing against mine in a caress filled with a tenderness I found myself recoiling from. It wasn't the gentle touch I craved; it brought back memories of Christopher, and that was a past I was determined to leave behind.

Before the kiss could evolve into anything more, a shadow loomed over us—a familiar darkness that seemed to transform the atmosphere entirely.

The man who had kissed meseconds ago stepped back instantly, his demeanor shifting as he caught sight of Derek. "Boss," he greeted with a nod, an unspoken understanding passing between them.

"What are you doing with my girl?" Derek's voice was icy, sending a palpable tension through the air. Despite the increase in heartbeats around us, no one dared to look our way, as if fearing they'd be caught in the crossfire.

"My apologies, sir. I wasn't aware she belonged to you. She didn't resist, and..."

"Leave."

"Boss, I—"

"Do I need to repeat myself?" Derek's eyebrow arched, a silent warning.

"No, sir." The man gritted his teeth, stalking off without a backward glance.

"Your girl? Really?" I couldn't help but challenge Derek, crossing my arms defensively.

Without a word, he grabbed my arm, pulling me away from the prying eyes and into a private area accessible only to him or Lucifer.

"I don't need you playing the overprotective tyrant," I snapped. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

Since the day we met, Derek had been a relentless guardian, driving away anyone who dared to approach me too closely, under the guise of brotherly protection. Yet the intensity in his gaze now hinted at something more, something he had vehemently denied in the past

"You don't need to remind me that you're an adult. I'm well aware," he replied, his voice softening slightly.

"Then why do you insist on chasing away anyone I talk to? Can't I have my own version of fun without you sabotaging it?"

"Is that what you call fun? Sex?"

"Yes. What's it to you? Does the idea of a woman being sexually active bothers you that much?"

"No, I don't give a single fuck if a woman is sexually active, women can enjoy their sexuality freely, it's not my problem. Everyone does whatever they want with their bodies . What bothers me is that you let men and women touch what they shouldn't."

"Why shouldn't they? " I challenged, irritation flaring within me.

"Because you're mine," he stated simply, his thumb tracing my cheek before his grip shifted, his hand encircling my throat. Despite my efforts to remain unaffected, his dominance ignited a fire within me. I felt my pussy tingle but ignored the traitor . 

"Yours? "I laugh "That's something I'll never be"

 "Stage 1: Denial," he retorted, amusement flickering in his eyes.

"Remember that day?" I didn't wait for his response.  "Because I do, I remember the day I kissed you and you rejected me telling me you'll never see me that way because bad guys like you will never find interest in girls like me" my hand makes its way to his abs and I touch them through his shirt and I feel him shudder under my touch " I don't have what it takes to handle you or pleasure you, remember? Your words, not mine. And if it wasn't clear enough, that night you brought another woman home taking advantage of the fact that Lucifer wasn't there and you fucked her as if to make a point "