Chapter - 5

Third person's pov:

As Sana sat in her room, trying to concentrate on the third act of Macbeth, she was really listening for her truck. She would have thought, even over the pounding rain, she could have heard the engine's roar. But when she went to peek out the curtain - again - it was suddenly there.

Sana wasn't looking forward to Friday, and it more than lived up to her non-expectations. Of course there were the fainting comments. Jihyo especially seemed to get a kick out of that story. Luckily Mark had kept his mouth shut, and no one seemed to know about Tzuyu's involvement. Jihyo did have a lot of questions about lunch, though.

"So what did Tzuyu want yesterday?" Jihyo asked in Trig.

"I don't know," Sana answered truthfully. "He never really got to the point."

"You looked kind of mad," Jihyo fished.

"Did I?" Sana kept her expression blank.

"You know, I've never seen him sit with anyone but his family before. That was weird."

"Weird," Sana agreed. Jihyo seemed annoyed; she flipped her dark hairs impatiently - Sana guessed jihyo'd been hoping to hear something that would make a good story for her to pass on.

The worst part about Friday was that, even though Sana knew Tzuyu wasn't going to be there, she still hoped. When Sana walked into the cafeteria with Jihyo and Mark, she couldn't keep from looking at his table, where Momo, Mina, and Chaeyoung sat talking, heads close together. And she couldn't stop the gloom that engulfed her as she realized she didn't know how long she would have to wait before she saw Tzuyu again.

At her usual table, everyone was full of there plans for the next day. Mark was animated again, putting a great deal of trust in the local weather man who promised sun tomorrow. Sana have to see that before she believed it. But it was warmer today - almost sixty.

Sana intercepted a few unfriendly glances from Suzy during lunch, which Sana didn't understand until they were all walking out of the room together. Sana was right behind Suzy, just a foot from her slick hair, and she was evidently unaware of that.

"...don't know why Sana" - Suzy sneered Sana name - "doesn't just sit with the Yoos from now on."

Sana heard her muttering to Mark. Sana never noticed what an unpleasant, nasal voice Suzy had, and Sana was surprised by the malice in it. Sana really didn't know Suzy well at all, certainly not well enough for her to dislike Sana - or so she thought. "She's my friend; she sits with us," Mike whispered back loyally, but also a bit territorially. Sana paused to let Jihyo and Suzy pass her. She didn't want to hear any more.

That night at dinner, Chief Minatozaki seemed enthusiastic about her trip to La Push in the morning. Sana think he felt guilty for leaving her home alone on the weekends, but he'd spent too many years building his habits to break them now. Of course he knew the names of all the kids going, and their parents, and their great- grandparents, too, probably. He seemed to approve. Sana wondered if he would approve of her plan to ride to Incheon with Tzuyu. Not that Sana was going to tell him.

"Appa, do you know a place called Hallasan mountain or something like that?" Sana asked casually.

"Yeah - why?"

She shrugged. "Some kids were talking about camping there."

"It's not a very good place for camping." He sounded surprised. "Too many bears. Most people go there during the hunting season."

"Oh," Sana murmured. "Maybe I got the name wrong." She meant to sleep in, but an unusual brightness woke her. Sana opened her eyes to see a clear yellow light streaming through her window. She couldn't believe it. She hurried to the window to check, and sure enough, there was the sun. It was in the wrong place in the sky, too low, and it didn't seem to be as close as it should be, but it was definitely the sun. Clouds ringed the horizon, but a large patch of blue was visible in the middle. She lingered by the window as long as she could, afraid that if she left the blue would disappear again.