Chapter - 16

Third person's pov:

It was just beginning to drizzle when Tzuyu turned onto Sana's street. Up until that moment, she'd had no doubt that he'd be staying with her while she spent a few interim hours in the real world.

And then she saw the black car, a weathered Ford, parked in her's driveway — and heard Tzuyu mutter something unintelligible in a low, harsh voice.

Leaning away from the rain under the shallow front porch, Jung Eunha stood behind his father's wheelchair. Jung Sung-jin face was impassive as stone as Tzuyu parked Sana's truck against the curb. Eunha stared down, his expression mortified.

Tzuyu's low voice was furious. "This is crossing the line."

"He came to warn Appa?" Sana guessed, more horrified than angry. Tzuyu just nodded, answering Sung-jin's gaze through the rain with narrowed eyes.

Sana felt weak with relief that her father wasn't home yet.

"Let me deal with this," Sana suggested. Tzuyu's black glare made her anxious.

Tzuyu agreed. "That's probably best. Be careful, though. The child has no idea."

Sana bridled a little at the word child. "Eunha is not that much younger than I am," She reminded him.

Tzuyu looked at her then, his anger abruptly fading. "Oh, I know," he assured her with a grin.

Sana sighed and put her hand on the door handle.

"Get them inside," Tzuyu instructed, "so I can leave. I'll be back around dusk."

"Do you want my truck?" Sana offered, meanwhile wondering how she would explain its absence to Mr. Minatozaki.

Tzuyu rolled his eyes. "I could walk home faster than this truck moves."

"You don't have to leave," Sana said wistfully.

He smiled at her glum expression. "Actually, I do. After you get rid of them" — he threw a dark glance in the Jung's direction — "you still have to prepare Mr. Minatozaki to meet your new boyfriend." He grinned widely, showing of his dimple.

Sana groaned. "Thanks a lot."

Tzuyu smiled the crooked smile that she loved. "I'll be back soon," he promised. His eyes flickered back to the porch, and then he leaned in to swiftly kiss her just under the edge of her jaw. Sana's heart lurched frantically, and she, too, glanced toward the porch. Sung-jin's face was no longer impassive, and his hands clutched at the armrests of his chair.

"Soon," Sana stressed as she opened the door and stepped out into the rain. She could feel his eyes on her back as she half-ran through the light sprinkle toward the porch.

"Hey, Uncle. Hi, Eunha." Sana greeted them as cheerfully as she could manage.

"Appa's gone for the day — I hope you haven't been waiting long."

"Not long," Sung-jin said in a subdued tone. His black eyes were piercing.

"I just wanted to bring this up." He indicated a brown paper sack resting in his lap.

"Thanks," Sana said, though she had no idea what it could be. "Why don't you come in for a minute and dry off?"

She pretended to be oblivious to his intense scrutiny as she unlocked the door, and waved them in ahead of her.

"Here, let me take that," Sana offered, turning to shut the door. She allowed herself one last glance at Tzuyu. He was waiting, perfectly still, his eyes solemn.