Chapter - 6

Third person's pov:

Sana told her Appa that she had a lot of homework to do, and that she didn't want anything to eat. There was a basketball game on that he was excited about, though of course she had no idea what was special about it, so he wasn't aware of anything unusual in her face or tone.

Once in her room, she locked the door and right away went to sleep.

Sana opened her eyes to a familiar place. Aware in some corner of her consciousness that she was dreaming, she recognized the green light of the forest. Sana could hear the waves crashing against the rocks somewhere nearby. And she knew that if she found the ocean, she'd be able to see the sun. She was trying to follow the sound, but then Jung Eunha was there, tugging on her hand, pulling her back toward the blackest part of the forest.

"Eunha? What's wrong?" Sana asked. His face was frightened as he yanked with all his strength against her resistance; she didn't want to go into the dark.

"Run, Sana, you have to run!" Eunha whispered, terrified.

"This way, Sana!" Sana recognized Mark's voice calling out of the gloomy heart of the trees, but she couldn't see him.

"Why?" Sana asked, still pulling against Eunha's grasp, desperate now to find the sun.

But Eunha let go of her hand and yelped, suddenly shaking, falling to the dim forest floor. He twitched on the ground as she watched in horror.

"Eunha!" Sana screamed. But he was gone. In his place was a large red-brown wolf with black eyes. The wolf faced away from her, pointing toward the shore, the hair on the back of his shoulders bristling, low growls issuing from between his exposed fangs.

"Sana, run!" Mark cried out again from behind her. But Sana didn't turn. She was watching a light coming toward her from the beach.

And then Tzuyu stepped out from the trees, his skin faintly glowing, his eyes black and dangerous. He held up one hand and beckoned Sana to come to him. The wolf growled at her feet.

Sana took a step forward, toward Tzuyu. He smiled then, and his teeth were sharp, pointed.

"Trust me," Tzuyu purred.

Sana took another step.

The wolf launched himself across the space between her and the vampire, fangs aiming for the jugular.

"No!" Sana screamed, wrenching upright out of her bed.

Her room's light was still on, and she was sitting fully dressed on the bed, with her shoes on. Sana glanced, disoriented, at the clock on her dresser. It was five-thirty in the morning.

Sana groaned, fell back, and rolled over onto her face, kicking off her boots. She was too uncomfortable to get anywhere near sleep, though. She rolled back over and unbuttoned her jeans, yanking them off awkwardly as she tried to stay horizontal. Sana could feel the braid in her hair, an uncomfortable ridge along the back of her skull. She turned onto her side and ripped the rubber band out, quickly combing through the plaits with her fingers. She pulled the pillow back over her eyes.

It was all no use, of course. Her subconscious had dredged up exactly the images she'd been trying so desperately to avoid. She was going to have to face them now.

Sana sat up, and her head spun for a minute as the blood flowed downward. First things first, she thought to herself, happy to put it off as long as possible. She grabbed her bathroom bag.

The shower didn't last nearly as long as she hoped it would, though. Even taking the time to blow-dry her hair, she was soon out of things to do in the bathroom. Wrapped in a towel, she crossed back to her room. She couldn't tell if Mr. Minatozaki was still asleep, or if he had already left. Sana went to look out her window, and her Appa's car was gone. Fishing again. She dressed slowly in her most comfy sweats and then made her bed - something she never did. Sana couldn't put it off any longer. She went to her desk and switched on her old computer.