Chapter - 7

Third person's's pov:

Jihyo drove faster than the Chief, so they made it to shopping mall by four. It had been a while since Sana'd had a girls' night out, and the estrogen rush was invigorating.

The dance was billed as semiformal, and they weren't exactly sure what that meant. Both Jihyo and Min seemed surprised and almost disbelieving when Sana told them she'd never been to a dance in Osaka.

"Didn't you ever go with a boyfriend or something?" Jihyo asked dubiously as they walked through the front doors of the store.

"Really," Sana ried to convince her, not wanting to confess her dancing problems. "I've never had a boyfriend or anything close. I didn't go out much."

"Why not?" Jihyo demanded.

"No one asked me," Sana answered honestly.

Jihyo looked skeptical. "People ask you out here," she reminded her, "and you tell them no." They were in the juniors' section now, scanning the racks for dress-up clothes.

"Well, except for Chan," Min amended quietly.

"Excuse me?" Sana gasped. "What did you say?"

"Bang Chan told everyone he's taking you to prom," Min informed me with suspicious eyes.

"He said what?" Sana sounded like she was choking.

"I told you it wasn't true," Jihyo murmured to Min. Sana was silent, still lost in shock that was quickly turning to irritation. But they had found the dress racks, and now they had work to do.

"That's why Suzy doesn't like you," Jihyo giggled while they pawed through the clothes.

Sana gritted her teeth. "Do you think that if I him over with my truck he would stop feeling guilty about the accident That he might give up on making amends and call it even?"

"Maybe," Jihyo snickered. '"If that's why he's doing this." The dress selection wasn't large, but both of them found a few things to try on. Sana sat on a low chair just inside the dressing room, by the three-way mirror, trying to control her fuming.

"Min?" Sana began, hesitant, while Min was trying on a pair of pink strappy heels - Min was overjoyed to have a date tall enough that she could wear high heels at all.

Jihyo had drifted to the jewelry counter and Sana and Min were alone.

"Yes?" Min held her leg out, twisting her ankle to get a better view of the shoe.

Sana chickened out. "I like those."

"I think I'll get them - though they'll never match anything but the one dress," Min mused.

"Oh, go ahead - they're on sale," Sana encouraged. Min smiled, putting the lid back on a box that contained more practical-looking off-white shoes. Sana tried again.

"Um, Min..." Min looked up curiously.
"Is it normal for the... Yoos" - Sana kept her eyes on the shoes - "to be out of school a lot?" Sana failed miserably in her attempt to sound nonchalant.

"Yes, when the weather is good they go backpacking all the time - even the doctor. They're all real outdoorsy," Min told Sana quietly, examining her shoes,
too. Min didn't ask one question, let alone the hundreds that jihyo would have unleashed.

"Oh." Sana let the subject drop as Jihyo returned to show them the rhinestone jewelry she'd found to match her silver shoes.

They planned to go to dinner at a little restaurant on the boardwalk, but the dress shopping hadn't taken as long as they'd expected. Jihyo and Min were going to take their clothes back to the car and then walk down to the bay.