Chapter - 18

Third person's pov:

Mr. Minatozaki was waiting up for Sana. All the house lights were on. Sana's mind was blank as she tried to think of a way to make him let her go.

Tzuyu pulled up slowly, staying well back from Sana truck. All three (Tzuyu, Mina and Dahyun) of them were acutely alert, ramrod straight in their seats, listening to every sound of the wood, looking through every shadow, catching every scent, searching for something out of place. The engine cut off, and Sana sat, motionless, as they continued to listen.

"He's not here," Tzuyu said tensely. "Let's go." Dahyun reached over to help Sana get out of the harness.

"Don't worry, Sana," Dahyun said in a low but cheerful voice, "we'll take care of things here quickly."

Sana felt moisture filling up her eyes as she looked at Dahyun. She barely knew him, and yet, somehow, not knowing when she would see him again after tonight was anguishing. She knew this was just a faint taste of the goodbyes she would have to survive in the next hour, and the thought made the tears begin to spill.

"Mina, Dahyun." Tzuyu's voice was a command. They slithered soundlessly into the darkness, instantly disappearing.

Tzuyu opened Sana's door and took her hand, then drew her into the protecting enclosure of his arm. He walked her swiftly toward the house, eyes always roving through the night.

"Fifteen minutes," Tzuyu warned under his breath.

"I can do this." Sana sniffled. Her tears had given her an inspiration. She stopped on the porch and took hold of his face in her hands. She looked fiercely into his eyes.

"I love you, Tzu" Sana said in a low, intense voice. "I will always love you, no matter what happens now."

"Nothing is going to happen to you, Sana," Tzuyu said just as fiercely.

"Just follow the plan, okay? Keep appa safe for me. He's not going to like me very much after this, and I want to have the chance to apologize later."

"Get inside, Sana. We have to hurry." His voice was urgent.

"One more thing," Sana whispered passionately. "Don't listen to another word I say tonight!" Tzuyu was leaning in, and so all she had to do was stretch up on her toes to kiss his surprised, frozen lips with as much force as she was capable of. Then she turned and kicked the door open.

"Go away, Tzuyu!" Sana yelled at him, running inside and slamming the door shut in his still-shocked face.

"Sana?" Mr. Minatozaki had been hovering in the living room, and he was already on his feet.

"Leave me alone!" Sana screamed at him through her tears, which were flowing relentlessly now. She ran up the stairs to her room, throwing the door shut and locking it. She ran to her bed, flinging herself on the floor to retrieve her duffel bag. She reached swiftly between the mattress and box spring to grab the knotted old sock that contained her secret cash hoard. Her father was pounding on her door.

"Sana, are you okay? What's going on?" His voice was frightened.

"I'm going to Mom," Sana shouted, her voice breaking in the perfect spot.

"Did he hurt you?" His tone edged toward anger.

"No!" Sana shrieked a few octaves higher. She turned to her dresser, and Tzuyu was already there, silently yanking out armfuls of random clothes, which he proceeded to throw to her.

"Did he break up with you?" Mr. Minatozaki was perplexed.

"No!" Sana yelled, slightly more breathless as she shoved everything into the bag. Tzuyu threw another drawer's contents at her. The bag was pretty much full now.